Customer Service 866.965.0400

Starting new - need help with the basics.

PerforinTSI

Question

So here's my current car situation.  I recently inherited an '05 Highlander with ~250k miles on it (still runs like a champ!)... that hasn't been washed in over a year it seems.  I'm going to need the mother of all clay bars to get all the accumulated grit off first.  The front wheels have a significant amount of brake dust accumulation.  Luckily no major scratches/etc. that affect the overall paint work.  In short, I need to help the car get rid of its outer nastiness to let it's former beauty shine :]

I'm willing to invest somewhat in quality cleaning products as I plan on purchasing a new 2015 or 2016 VW Golf/GTI later this year, and plan on keeping it in tip-top shop once it's under my care.

So, as a cleaning novice, what products do you recommend I start with?  I've only went to automated car-washes in the past, and didn't even own a car the past 4 years, so my experience is pretty limited!

I've watched the great videos on Adam's Youtube channel and created a short list:

1. Adam's Rinseless Wash Starter Kit (I live in California.  Gotta' minimize water use!)  

2. Adam's Red Nylon Wheel Brush

3. Big Blue Clay Bar

4. Adam's Detail Spray

5. Adam's VRT

6. Adam's Leather & Interior Cleaner

7. Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner

I'm interested in the H2O Guard & Gloss as well.  Saw the recent video on it and it looks fantastic. Would it be repetitive/inefficient to add it to the cleaning regime? Does it do anything better than any of the cleaners above? 

Do you guys recommend I start with a different set of products and/or am I missing anything crucial?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by PerforinTSI

7 answers to this question

I am pretty new to the form and some of Adams products but I can tell you the All Purpose Cleaner is great and the In & Out Spray works wonders with ease for all that plastic outside trim. Your going to find a lot if not most of all the products they have to offer work great. They do have great videos that basically made me move up to using a machine to polish my cars. Cant wait to have time to start.

There are a lot of great posts, threads and ppl on here. Enjoy.

I would start with the 2 bucket car wash kit.  

Rinseless Wash is GREAT (it's my favorite Adam's product) but you won't always be able to do a rinseless wash.

Also - H2OGG is a sealant, not a cleaner.  It goes on after the car is clean.

I am pretty new to the form and some of Adams products but I can tell you the All Purpose Cleaner is great and the In & Out Spray works wonders with ease for all that plastic outside trim. Your going to find a lot if not most of all the products they have to offer work great. They do have great videos that basically made me move up to using a machine to polish my cars. Cant wait to have time to start.

There are a lot of great posts, threads and ppl on here. Enjoy.

thanks moparbrian!

I'll take a look at the 2 bucket car wash kit! 

So, would the H2OGG be the last thing to go on the car then? 

It can be the last thing on the car.  It can also be topped with wax for an even deeper shine.

Many of us top sealant with wax.