Customer Service 866.965.0400

Kitchen update

694doorbird

We are in the very early stage of planning our kitchen update. We found a company Granite Transformations does countertops and cabinet resurfacing. After watching several you tube videos, I'm very curious about them. Their countertops are made in Florida using granite, glass and a resin. Their made to slip over your existing countertops giving the look of granite. Just wondering if anyone here has used/heard of them. If so what is your opinion of them? I'm finding both bad and outstanding reviews on the Internet.

This is their web site http://www.granitetransformations.com

IMO, if your going to go thru the work to re-do your kitchen get the real stuff not the cover up stuff.  Kitchens and bathrooms are the two most expensive parts of a house.  Unless you really like your cabinets and they are in good shape, I would even suggest going new with them instead of a refinish, IMO.  I could be wrong, but expense wise and the work involved it may cost close to have refinished, what you could have new; in the wood species of your liking.

Chris,

Thanks for your input. Our cabinets are in good shape, and we don't plan on refinishing them. We really just want to do the countertops/backsplash. The story is: Disposal burned up and need to change it. As long as that needs to be done, we figured to replace the sink (it needs it). If we replace the sink, we might as well upgrade the look of the countertops... So a $100 fix will cost quite a bit more....

Just by looking at the pictures on their website, it looks "cheap" in my opinion. Especially the pictures where they did the wall/backsplash in this stuff, it gives the appearance of laminate. If you want granite, then get granite. Don't get some coating over your existing counter tops. I would just do granite tops and a coordinating tile backsplash to give it a more modern look.!

Chris,

Thanks for your input. Our cabinets are in good shape, and we don't plan on refinishing them. We really just want to do the countertops/backsplash. The story is: Disposal burned up and need to change it. As long as that needs to be done, we figured to replace the sink (it needs it). If we replace the sink, we might as well upgrade the look of the countertops... So a $100 fix will cost quite a bit more....

Did you plan on doing the backsplash yourself or having it done?  It is really easy and can be done yourself.  Those mosaic pieces are easy as well if you know how to do them.  Get the real granite slabs and have them done.  As with just about everything, a good portion of your cost is labor.

The price of granite has came down from what it was a few years ago (bettter to go with the actual granite than this overlay stuff).  I helped with a project where we did the quartz it was over $8,000 for just the kitchen (this was larger than a normal kitchen).  In my house I went with Duport Corian because I did not want to see the seams. I went one step further by having the installer add 1/4" Corian between the backsplash and the upper cabinets on the walls.  

The price of granite has came down from what it was a few years ago (bettter to go with the actual granite than this overlay stuff).  I helped with a project where we did the quartz it was over $8,000 for just the kitchen (this was larger than a normal kitchen).  In my house I went with Duport Corian because I did not want to see the seams. I went one step further by having the installer add 1/4" Corian between the backsplash and the upper cabinets on the walls.  

The seams should be almost unnoticeable if it is done right.  Just like everything, technology and methods improve over time.