Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tinting my windows

chops1sc

I ordered some pre-cut window tint on eBay a while back and just got around to putting it on. I still have to do the back glass and windshield stripe, but the pre-cut sheets went on pretty well.

1927D472-8D54-4E99-AEDE-551414DAFE9A.jpg

The precut pieces made it very easy. I have done traditional tint before and screwed it up, lol. You can mix the % for each window, too. I did 18% on both front windows and 70% on the rear and back glass (factory is 25% on the rear and back). The windshield strip is 5%. For all that and two pieces and a strip for my wife's car was only $60 shipped!

Edited by chops1sc

This is as close to tinting I've ever done. The wife and I added the racing design to the Monte Carlo.  It was a package you could buy in 02 or 03 but it wasn't available on the silver. So we bought it and did it ourselves.  After that, I wasn't afraid to add hood stripes to my black Vette, but tinting is totally different and I don't think it's something I want to tackle.  Gotta hand it to you there. :2thumbs:

post-15-0-15560000-1434936289_thumb.jpg

post-15-0-45249600-1434936304_thumb.jpg

On my old truck I used the parts store roll and it is soooo much much harder than the pre-cut. I had some bad cuts and the passenger side started lifting when the window would come down. If you were able to do those stripes you could most definitely do the pre-cut tint.

Here is a link to the eBay store I used. http://stores.ebay.com/precisionwindowfilms/

I should say they don't pre-shrink the tint though. My side windows didn't need it but I am sure the back glass will. I don't think it will be a problem, but I have never done that. If you mess up a piece they will replace it at a discounted price.

Edited by chops1sc

I know when I had my windows tinted it was done by a customer on my route.  He had a computer system and what looked like a big plotter that cut the tint out to the specifications of the vehicle.  No cutting afterwards whatsoever.  

Yep. It has totally changed the way tinting is done. Back in 1999-2002 I was good friends with a guy at a stereo shop that also did tint. They would make a template every time they got a different vehicle in to get tint. The lady that did most of the tint work said there was a company that was working on doing just we are discussing. She estimated that it would reduce the time for doing each vehicle by almost half.