Customer Service 866.965.0400

Camping anyone?

chops1sc

Your too close to civilization if you can get a cell signal to post on the Forum...lol

Looks like fun however.  Sometimes being close to home helps the family acclimate to the whole camping experience if you haven't done much of it.  

Edited by LFairbanks

Yeah, I know what you mean. This trip is pretty much a "where to put all our junk" and a "I can't believe we forgot that" trip, lol!

And I bet it is your fault that your daughter and wife forgot their toothbrushes.....lol.  I have thought about making up a list and having it laminated so that I can cross things off with one of those dry erase markers.  Funny how things for me get left behind when I go camping or on vacation with my wife and kid.  Yet, when I do a backpacking adventure with my brother, I forget nothing.

Have you ever tried Dutch Oven cooking?  Stuff is pretty tasty, and super easy to prepare.  If you don't have one and buy one, stay away from the aluminum ones.  As aluminum dissipates it doesn't do so well for cooking.  Get a heavy cast iron one.

This place builds good quality products for camping.  I have a couple of their dutch ovens as well as one of the 2 burner stoves.  If you find something you like, maybe check Amazon to see if it is cheaper.  And or free shipping, or maybe you have a local distributor.

Edited by LFairbanks

After my above post on dutch oven cooking, I started thinking about some of the different ideas.  And how easy the recipes really are.  I from time to time will do a cookout in the backyard with my camp stove and dutch oven instead of the BBQ.  Although I haven't done one for quite a while.  Looking at some of the below recipes started to make me hungry.   Don't look if your hungry.

http://50campfires.com/35-incredibly-easy-dutch-oven-recipes-camping/

Cobblers are always good to eat when camping.  My brother and I eat a freeze dried version when we do our backpacking trips together.  God is it good.

http://www.backcountry.com/backpackers-pantry-hot-apple-cobbler?ti=UExQIENhdDpEZXNzZXJ0czoxOjU6YmNzQ2F0NzExMTAwMTk4&skid=BKP0031-ONECOL-ONESIZ

Thought this one look pretty good, and unhealthy.

Edited by LFairbanks

Hey, if you get a dutch oven you can make Smacos on your next trip!

Smaco - think a smore and a soft taco combined...

I used to make these on Cub Scout camping trips.  I have spent many evenings with a never-ending line of little boys waiting for these.  We used other 'cookie chip' ingredients too - butterscotch chips, white choc. chips , etc., and also bananas (sliced thin).  Most recipes online do not use the cinnamon sugar, but we found it added a more 'rounded' flavor (and of course more of the graham cracker taste).  

Smacos

Ingredients:

Vegetable oil

6” flour tortillas

Mini marshmallows

Chocolate chips

Cinnamon sugar

-------------

Place Dutch oven (D-O) over medium heat

Wipe with oil

Place tortilla in D-O

Cover with lid

Let sit for about 10 seconds

Remove lid

Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and place a small handful of chocolate chips and mini marshmallows on the tortilla

Cover with lid

Remove lid

Fold tortilla in half

Cover with lid

Remove lid

Remove Smaco and EAT!

Well actually put it on a plate or napkin for someone else and start making the next one…you are going to be doing this for a while!

Reapply vegetable oil when the D-O gets a little dry (after every 2-3 Smacos)