Customer Service 866.965.0400

Conquered chewing gum with Leather Conditioner

JLKoupe

Question

Took the coupe to a track day at Pocono a couple of weeks ago, which meant taking out all the loose stuff inside, including the rubber floor mats. Cleaning up the interior the next day, what I thought was a bit of dried grass stuck to the passenger side carpet turned out to be a patch of dried grass stuck to chewing gum stuck to the carpet (instructor ride-along - who thought to check his shoes!).

I searched the forum for advice on getting gum out of carpet and came up with one old reference to Leather Conditioner.  I tried it and by gum, it worked great! I scraped off as much as I could first then saturated the spot with the Leather Conditioner and let it sit for several hours. The remaining gum came off with vigorous scrubbing with a dry utility towel and a little surface scraping with a plastic razor blade. If you look closely, you can see a small divot in the carpet where the fibers were worn away but for the most part, there's nothing noticeable.

Note to self: implement a no-shoe policy for all passengers when floor mats are not in place...

3 answers to this question

Probably not the most common problem in interior cleaning but rates pretty high on the nuisance scale when it happens. Hopefully others will share any tips they may have from similar experiences.