Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adams Master Blaster?

I'm confused here, since I'm not very knowledgeable with electricity.

Will the MB be able to run fine with my house outlet and with an extension cord?

I receive it today and would like to see it in action ASAP!

Plug it in and let us know.  I would turn on one of the motors at a time however, and let the first motor run for about 10 seconds first, before flipping the second on.  If you don't blow a fuse, you're good to go. 

Edited by Ricky Bobby

Most 12 AWG extension cords that carry 20A current still have ends (plug/socket) that are UL rated only to 15A. For intermittent use (less many hours continuous), you will not likely have an issue.  Most houses rarely have a real 20A wall outlet and often it is because they are dedicated. You see them most in medical locations.

By code here it is required to have 20 amp circuits in the kitchen.  As well as a dedicated 20 amp circuit in the bathroom.  And they all have to be GFCI.  This is because of mixers and blenders and hair dryers.

I'm confused here, since I'm not very knowledgeable with electricity.

Will the MB be able to run fine with my house outlet and with an extension cord?

I receive it today and would like to see it in action ASAP!

I have had mine trip when it was on a 50 foot cord that is 10/3.  It was however after using it for quite a long time.  And it was on a dedicated 20 amp circuit that only had the plug and blower for my heater in the garage.  And the heater was turned off.  All you can do is try it and if it works your good.  If not then you will have to figure something else out.

Edited by LFairbanks

By code here it is required to have 20 amp circuits in the kitchen.  As well as a dedicated 20 amp circuit in the bathroom.  And they all have to be GFCI.  This is because of mixers and blenders and hair dryers.

Yes Bathrooms, kitchens, and garages usually have a 20 A breaker.  They run 12AWG wires to the outlets from the electrical box to allow use of multiple higher load devices.  However, they actual outlet in the wall just like the 12AWG cord sets are actually "rated" 15A/250V. A real 20A outlet looks like what I showed.  There is no real risk of running a 20A device from a 15A/250V rated outlet or cord for intermittent use (not dedicated). In a house, most 20A circuits are shared circuits.

If you go pick up an extension cord at HD that shows a chart carrying 20A (12AWG), the end plugs are still rated 15A/250VAC. These are ok for intermittent use.

I run my MB from a shared 20A breaker circuit in the garage using a Husky brand 12AWG extension (with 15A rated ends) without any issues.

Edited by Bunky

Worst case scenario the Master Blaster could just be run with only one motor.  You won't get the full benefit but it's still a formidable blower with only one switch turned on.

Yes Bathrooms, kitchens, and garages usually have a 20 A breaker.  They run 12AWG wires to the outlets from the electrical box to allow use of multiple higher load devices.  However, they actual outlet in the wall just like the 12AWG cord sets are actually "rated" 15A/250V. A real 20A outlet looks like what I showed.  There is no real risk of running a 20A device from a 15A/250V rated outlet or cord for intermittent use (not dedicated). In a house, most 20A circuits are shared circuits.

If you go pick up an extension cord at HD that shows a chart carrying 20A (12AWG), the end plugs are still rated 15A/250VAC. These are ok for intermittent use.

I run my MB from a shared 20A breaker circuit in the garage using a Husky brand 12AWG extension (with 15A rated ends) without any issues.

I'am aware of all that.  The only difference between a "rated" 20 amp plug and a 15 amp plug on a cord is the configuration of the spades.  The thickness of the spades is the same.  There is no risk with it either.  

I do however disagree with you in regards to the risk of using a 20 amp device on a 15 amp circuit / outlet.  Yeah it may work, but it will weaken the circuit breaker over time if it doesn't trip it right away.  By code a device that is plugged in isn't to draw more than 80% of the rated amps of that circuit.  I know that is always hard to enforce because people plug different things in and do stupid stuff.

If you have a 15 or 20 amp circuit you can use a 15 amp receptacle, but your "maximum load" shouldn't exceed 12 amps.  A 20 amp circuit with a 20 amp receptacle shouldn't exceed a maximum load of 16 amps.  A 30 amp circuit with a 30 amp receptacle shouldn't exceed a maximum load of 24 amps.  The Master Blaster draws 18 amps.  

Any tool, and I don't care what tool it is, if it is struggling for power it is hard on the tool.  Yes, your Master Blaster can work on a 20 amp circuit with a 15 amp plug, but your exceeding the recommended load by 6 amps.  Exceeding it by 2 with a 20 amp circuit and 20 amp plug.  Which is why I run mine on a 30 amp circuit.  I'am not saying that it can't be done, just pointing out what is written in the NEC.  National Electrical Code.  I have had mine trip after prolonged use on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.  And the above information explains why.  Mine was plugged into a 50 foot 10 gauge cord.  Having your tool plugged into an extension cord adds to the issue.  Which is why you will see at times recommended cord gauge in relation to distance.

I got my information here.  Granted my copy is 7 years old, the above issues don't change.

post-706-0-32904600-1438230196_thumb.jpg

I had an electrician friend wire in 2 25amp circuits for me in the garage last weekend, in preparation of a Master Blaster and an electric pressure washer and probably a 30 gal compressor. was going to do 20 amp, but he suggested 25amp.

Edited by 08G8V8

I had an electrician friend wire in 2 25amp circuits for me in the garage last weekend, in preparation of a Master Blaster and an electric pressure washer and probably a 30 gal compressor. was going to do 20 amp, but he suggested 25amp.

Glad to see you doing this properly, and yes I agree with Chris above, many people buy a Master Blaster and sure no one complains about the power draw but this is something I'd be concerned with as well.  Also take into account the amperage draw of a garage door opener motor if the wife comes home while you're drying your car etc.

They would lose a ton of sales if it had a 20 amp cord on it since you aren't supposed to use 20 amp plug to 15 amp plug adapters anyway.

They probably got away with it since technically its 2 separate motors drawing combined 18 amps, as opposed to 1 motor running 18 amps, so that was what got them an "under" 20 amp rated plug.  Just speculation nonetheless.

I do however disagree with you in regards to the risk of using a 20 amp device on a 15 amp circuit / outlet. 

I was stating using the MB on a standard household 20A circuit (like my garage) where the outlets are just rated for 15A.  The wiring is sufficient for the job but the wall outlets and the 12AWG do not have the offcial 20A rating.

Of course, if the circuit runs all over the house you have the drop associated with that...

I do not recommend using a 18A device on a 15A circuit.

Here is an example from HD 25 ft 12AWG/3 wire cord spec:

• 15 Amps, 125 Volts, 1875 Watts
  • UL listed

I agree to do it right by the code you should either get a true dedicated outlet rated for 20A or larger if using more devices especially if they are near continuous use.

However, most people will likely find a 20A circuit in the garage (most codes require it) and use a 1875W rated extension cord because that is what most people find. If the circuit is shared by high current devices then you could experience trips.

• 2 months later...

The MB is a monster! We use it like crazy here at the warehouse.

If your LSP is fresh then its absolutely no problem to dry a car 90% with just the blower and just do general touchup with a towel and detail spray. Its also great for drying your wheels and blowing water off the tires, blowing dust off when you need to clean the car between washes.

I also use it for a process called 'purging' - if you have an interior that isn't filthy rather than vacuuming you can blow the debris out. Works great for door panels, dashes, and even seats.

Really the MB is a tool that once you have you'll wonder how you lived without it.

I also use the MB for purging my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is great for blowing out all the red fur from our two Irish Setters. They love going for rides. The MB gets rid of all the fur in all places, even under the seats with a vacuum would not get. Actually, the MB works 100 times better than the vacuum overall. By the way, I primarily use it for drying but "purging" also works great.