Customer Service 866.965.0400

Chevy help

694doorbird

Since I don't own any GM vehicles, im asking for some guidance. My son bought a '78 El Camino. Last weekend is really the first time I got to look at it. It has a real fast idle (just by listening to it). It will also not idle in gear until it warmed up. I did find a couple bad vacuum hoses going to the carb. Replaced those along with the fuel and air filters. That seemed to cure the idle in gear. It still sounds like it's idling fast though. Sometimes it runs on when he shuts it off.

Power plant is a 305 and 2 barrel carb, auto trans. Sticker says idle speed should be 500 rpm in gear. How do I connect a tach to check and adjust the idle. I do plan on having him change plugs next time we get together.

Thanks for any help.

I have this tool and it can check RPM by connecting the inductive pickup on the spark plug wire.  You may try one of your local parts stores to see if they rent something that may work for you.  Not sure what you have available near you. Have you checked your timing and cap and rotor?

Thinking about it tool stores may not rent electronic tools.

Some more info that may be helpful.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/symptoms-of-a-bad-distributor-cap#b

Maybe check and or replace your EGR valve too.

Edited by LFairbanks

Thanks for the EGR valve replacement tip Chris, didn't even think of that one.

A coworker said I can insert a wire into the positive plug on the distributor to check the rpm.

Haven't heard of the insert wire trick.  To me it sounds dangerous or damaging.  Here is a cheaper version of the tool that I have.  Not sure what your willing to spend and how often you would use it.  Mine I use, and it has come in handy a number of times on various projects.  Also came with a book detailing all the different functions it can check.  Maybe check with one of your local parts stores.  

Edited by LFairbanks

The wire connection for the wire is right next to the plastic wiring connector on the side of the distributor cap.

You can make your own by getting a "crimp" style connector and use about a 12" long piece of wire. Not dangerous at all, just the way GM made you check engine RPM's without using some type of inductive pick-up around a spark plug wire.

Also, there is an additional "idle speed screw" on the side of the carburetor which may also be what you need to look at if the vehicle doesn't have the electric operated idle speed controller which gets activated when the A/C is on.

If you are going to do a tune up eventually, maybe purchase a timing light which has an inductive pick up and reads the engine RPM's?

Should be able to get one of those relatively inexpensive..................................

Hope this helps you out

The wire connection for the wire is right next to the plastic wiring connector on the side of the distributor cap.

You can make your own by getting a "crimp" style connector and use about a 12" long piece of wire. Not dangerous at all, just the way GM made you check engine RPM's without using some type of inductive pick-up around a spark plug wire.

Also, there is an additional "idle speed screw" on the side of the carburetor which may also be what you need to look at if the vehicle doesn't have the electric operated idle speed controller which gets activated when the A/C is on.

If you are going to do a tune up eventually, maybe purchase a timing light which has an inductive pick up and reads the engine RPM's?

Should be able to get one of those relatively inexpensive..................................

Hope this helps you out

Thanks for the info. I'm going to dig my timing light and tach/dwell meter out next time he comes over. I now have a good idea on how to read the rpm's. Truck does have A/C, so I'll look into that speed controller also.

Chris, the positive lead from the tach/dwell meter would go to the wire at the distrubitor, the negative would go to ground.

When I check the Thunderbird, positive goes to the positive stud on my coil, negative goes to ground. My sons El Camino doesn't have a coil like the Ford does, which is why I was confused.

• 2 months later...

Mike, did you ever get this issue resolved?

For the most part we did. Turned out that the distributor has a tach connection built it. We wired up a connector to fit on the spade. Idle was set about 1,500 rpm in gear. Slowed it down to 550 or so,a and its running pretty good now. We also found a couple bad vacuum lines going to the carb and fixed those. I feel that the previous owner had the idle set so high to cover the vacuum leaks. Eventually it will need a carb rebuild, but it's not high on the priority list. (Idle rises when spraying around the carb with carb cleaner).

We also changed valve cover gaskets and straightened his valve covers to fix an oil leak. He no longer needs to put a drip pan down when he comes over.

Carb gaskets aren't expensive, but if your gonna do a carb rebuild you might as well wait.

Right now that is on his "to do list"

Not sure if this is worth it to you or your son, but it is available.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=helm&Mfg=GMC&Make=CHV&Model=ELCA&Year=1978&Category=1&Keyword=&Module=&selected_media=

Factory service manual.

Thanks, I'll pass that along to him. I had their set for my '88 F-150, great books. I had forgotten about that company.