Customer Service 866.965.0400

Roof Rack cleaning

mc2hill

Question

I have a Frontier with the silver roof racks and running boards (powder coated I think) and am having trouble getting them clean. I usually just wipe them when I am washing the truck and have not put any other products on them, but there are some spots and marks that I would like to remove. Any recommendations?:confused:

16 answers to this question

Finally some pictures!

I tried 50/50 APC with a stiff brush, without much success.

IMG_0032.jpg

Roof rack

IMG_0029.jpg

Step rails (Notice the nice shiney black step - VRT baby!)

IMG_0034.jpg

Step rails(closeup)

Edited by mc2hill

Hi Michael-

That's wild, and thanks for forwarding photos! I'm of the belief the black spots are tar or paint, as nothing else could hang on that tough after a stiff-bristle brush and APC!

Next step, 3M Adhesive Remover. Rub it on gently with a cruddy towel at first, and go easy so the color isn't removed. I'd say that gunk will need some serious chemical to remove.

Next step after that (if unsuccessful) We send Richie Carbone to your house, our friend, distributor, and detailer who lives close-by. He'll save you!

The 3M Adhesive Remover, Goof Off, or Goo-Gone are all suitable, but be sure to so a small area on the underside first to make sure the silver paint isn't removed.

On the rack, have you tried any polish? It looks somewhat oxidized to me. Try our Swirl & Haze, and Revive Polish to see if that corrects the dullness and discoloration.

Keep us posted Michael, and thanks!

-Adam:2thumbs:

Thanks Adam. The black spots on the step rails are probably from shoes, if that makes any difference, not sure what the spots on the roof racks are. I'll give the 3M a try. If that doesn't work I'll talk to Richie about it when I do a re-order with him in the next week.

Thanks Adam. The black spots on the step rails are probably from shoes, if that makes any difference, not sure what the spots on the roof racks are. I'll give the 3M a try. If that doesn't work I'll talk to Richie about it when I do a re-order with him in the next week.

Right on, keep us posted!:thumbsup:

I was able to work on this a little yesterday and found WD-40 did a good job on removing the marks on the step rails. I just sprayed it on and rubbed with a towel. It will take some time, but that seems to be the way to go.

As for the roof racks, Richie C. took a look that them yesterday and wasn't sure what was causing the spots, but it could be the coating is just 'giving up' after 10 years in the Florida sun. The finish is very thin on the middle racks so that makes sense. I guess that's why Nissan switched from the powder-coating to painted racks in the 2nd generation Frontiers.

Thanks for everyone's input.