Customer Service 866.965.0400

Any Charger 392 owners here need advice

JHL88

Im thinking about trading in the truck on a Charger Scat Pack as a DD.  For those that own (or a SRT) one how is it driving from day to day?  Have you drove it in bad weather, how did it fare?  

It's none of my business but in my opinion a Charger Scat Pack isn't a DD......If it were suited for that I would trade my truck. :)

lol.  Well, after owning 3 Camaros and a z06 I NEED another go fast car... with room since I have kids now.  I figured this would be a great option.  I believe it comes in all season tires as well to keep costs down.  Just haven't heard too much about them 

Here in the Motor City, almost ALL of the RWD versions of the Charger, Challenger, and 300 models fair poorly in daily driving conditions when the white stuff flies.

The Scat Pack version is just slightly below the Hellcat versions, more to do with trim items, than performance features, so although GREAT cars, not recommended for winter road conditions.

May want to look at an AWD version of the Cadillac ATS with a 3.6L V-6 or 2.0L turbo?

You can find great deals on 1 or 2 year old models too, at least here in MI.

Great vehicle chassis (Alpha platform) for superb handling, and still room for more than 2.

Just a thought?

Here in the Motor City, almost ALL of the RWD versions of the Charger, Challenger, and 300 models fair poorly in daily driving conditions when the white stuff flies.

The Scat Pack version is just slightly below the Hellcat versions, more to do with trim items, than performance features, so although GREAT cars, not recommended for winter road conditions.

May want to look at an AWD version of the Cadillac ATS with a 3.6L V-6 or 2.0L turbo?

You can find great deals on 1 or 2 year old models too, at least here in MI.

Great vehicle chassis (Alpha platform) for superb handling, and still room for more than 2.

Just a thought?

If I went for an AWD platform I'd wait for the Focus RS.  Going to be a bad little car.  BUT i don't buy 1st year models so I might wait a while for that one if I decided to go that route.

Edited by JHL88

The Focus RS would be an awesome choice, just a compact, not a mid or full sized platform.

Don't know if it would be classified as "first year" as I believe Ford may have a version released in Europe or Australia before it gets to the  USA?

There was a recent article on it here in the Detroit papers auto section, I will try to see if I can find a link and post it here for you.

http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2015/09/ford_releasing_rebirth_of_an_i.html

Edited by rkj4243

Been in the Scat pack regular and got an EPIC ride in the Scat Pack 3 at Carlisle. 

As to the regulars, they are a really fun ride when the roads are dry, you certainly need to watch it when they are really wet or when the white stuff flies as mentioned. 

What about a jeep grand Cherokee srt8?

The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is a beast! I went to the SRT Track Experience at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) this summer. You cannot beat the AWD. I thought it handled almost as well as the Challenger. I was really impressed how it handled through the road course.

The Charger would work as a DD. It is a 4-door sedan. I also drove one at VIR and went on a hot lap with a pro driver. He scared the heck out of me in it! I do not know how they would be in the snow.  I have a Challenger 392 and I could drive that everyday (our DD now is a Jeep Wrangler). I think for the money and performance the Scat Pack 392 Charger is a good buy. I would also consider getting it with an automatic.

lol.  Well, after owning 3 Camaros and a z06 I NEED another go fast car... with room since I have kids now.  I figured this would be a great option.  I believe it comes in all season tires as well to keep costs down.  Just haven't heard too much about them

Coming from the cars you had the Charger would be an easy transition to a family/fun ride. I had a '12 Charger SRT ( totaled by a falling tree) and I used it as dd

PROS: engine, exhaust note, great seats, plenty of room for 5, legroom,trunk is huge, optional sound system is wonderful, brakes, upright sitting position,track pack gauges and UConnect was flawless and easy to use and just the fact muscle car power is there when the need hits you.

CONS: ride is on the firm side but hardly unbearable,suede seats are a major maintenance issue, I've been in this car during snow many times and the traction control was very good but there are limits and I'd recommend a dedicated snow tire if your up north,

MPG was about 15-17

This was my favorite car I had since my new 90 LX 5.0 and I really miss that car but "we" decided to get a new tow vehicle instead.

If we want to talk the SRT8 Jeep GC you might as well talk the likes of a Hellcat to match the price. The SRT8 while a fun toy and certainly great with 4wd is way overpriced IMO. 

If you want to spend north of 70k on the ride you mgiht as well get ALL the HP. 

here's an option.  Keep one car and buy the scat pack charger.  When the weather gets bad, I'll have no issue coming to get it and drive it to TX, wash it for you, keep it in the garage, keep the gas/oil good and then drive it back once weather is good for you.  I'll sacrifice and take one for the team but tires may be crap when I bring it back!!!!!

If we want to talk the SRT8 Jeep GC you might as well talk the likes of a Hellcat to match the price. The SRT8 while a fun toy and certainly great with 4wd is way overpriced IMO. 

If you want to spend north of 70k on the ride you mgiht as well get ALL the HP. 

That's what I was thinking.  WAyyyy overpriced.  even the used 6.1L SRT8's are still going for outrageous prices.  It would be cool to have one nonetheless.  

here's an option.  Keep one car and buy the scat pack charger.  When the weather gets bad, I'll have no issue coming to get it and drive it to TX, wash it for you, keep it in the garage, keep the gas/oil good and then drive it back once weather is good for you.  I'll sacrifice and take one for the team but tires may be crap when I bring it back!!!!!

LOL.

Well everyone... I just put a $500 reserve on one today It should arrive at the dealer middle of next week.  Stay tuned! I will post up pics and or exhaust clip when I get it

Well then, congratulations. This thread randomly caught my eye and I would like to offer a suggestion in case you haven't considered it... but take it with a grain of salt as I know nothing of the Chargers aside from what I read about them.

Perhaps you could have your cake and eat it too, by getting a dedicated set of snow tires and wheels. It seems like the 392 is a great DD, and if I had one I would want to enjoy it year round. Tire technology has come a long way.