Customer Service 866.965.0400

Anybody tried buffing a wrangler hardtop?

garner

Question

Was doing some thinking today, and the thought of buffing my wrangler's hard top came to mind. I know most people recommend all purpose cleaner and vrt, but since the fading is usually due to oxidation wouldn't it theoretically be possible to buff it out instead? Has anybody tried it before?

4 answers to this question

While you're correct that agitation and friction are the proper methods for scrubbing off oxidation, your better bet as to the proper tool would be a soft to medium bristle brush. The cockpit brush works great for this. Just spray on the desired strength of APC and brush it around. Repeat as many times as necessary.

As a side note, this will also work great on plastic trim too. Use a toothbrush.

- Darryl

Edited by Odds and Ends

You could try it but I would wonder if the pads are going to get down into the texture. I am making the assumption that this is the standard black and NOT the painted one. 

I would try some APC on the top and a brush as mentioned. Keeping up with the VRT should help keep it looking good, shiny and make it easy to clean. 

If it was totally trashed you might be able to use the carpet brushes on a cyclo or a single brush on a rupes mini or pc w/correct backing plate instead of brushing by hand. I know Dan (TheWolf) does his tires this way on occasion. I don't know if this would work or not...just a thought.

It is the standard black top, but it seems to be very smooth compared to the jk tops. I'll see if I can snap some decent pictures real quick.

Edited by garner