Customer Service 866.965.0400

Any Heat Pump experts out there?

crowvet

My compressor is failing in my Goodman 1.5 ton Heat pump. Still blows warm, but barely cools when switching to A/C. I want to replace the outside unit,but my unit is a R22 unit. All the new ones seem to be R410 charged. The R22 units are dry charged. Should I just replace the whole system? Just the outside unit with a R22 unit, or Will a 410 unit work? Opinions welcome.

If it were mine I would replace the coil and condenser, at the least with R-410A.  You may want to evaluate the condition of your air handler (furnace) as well.  R-22 was replaced with R-410A in 2010.  I know the equipment is expensive.  I replaced all of mine in 2007 and it cost me a little over 11K.  I have a 4 ton Lennox unit.  And a 110K btu furnace if I remember correctly.  I'm sure prices have gone up since then too.

I found the link below that may answer some of your questions.  Hope that helps.

http://www.ac-heatingconnect.com/whats-the-difference-between-r-22-and-r-410a/

Also wanted to mention when I switched mine over from R-22 to R-410A they had some way to clean the line set so that it didn't need replacing too.  It was relatively new, and still works perfectly.  HVAC is a sore subject with me.  

Edited by LFairbanks

If it were mine I would replace the coil and condenser, at the least with R-410A.  You may want to evaluate the condition of your air handler (furnace) as well.  R-22 was replaced with R-410A in 2010.  I know the equipment is expensive.  I replaced all of mine in 2007 and it cost me a little over 11K.  I have a 4 ton Lennox unit.  And a 110K btu furnace if I remember correctly.  I'm sure prices have gone up since then too.

I found the link below that may answer some of your questions.  Hope that helps.

http://www.ac-heatingconnect.com/whats-the-difference-between-r-22-and-r-410a/

Also wanted to mention when I switched mine over from R-22 to R-410A they had some way to clean the line set so that it didn't need replacing too.  It was relatively new, and still works perfectly.  HVAC is a sore subject with me.  

Thanks Chris, I lucked out. Turned out to be one of the auxiliary heat strips staying on. 

Thanks Chris, I lucked out. Turned out to be one of the auxiliary heat strips staying on. 

Sounds like you found an honest company that didn't try to sell you a whole new system.  In my experience that is highly unusual.  

Sounds like you found an honest company that didn't try to sell you a whole new system.  In my experience that is highly unusual.  

The guy was GOOD, had me going in no time. So nice when you get the right guy.