Customer Service 866.965.0400

Failing Clear....What would you do.

pirahnah3

Question

So my new to me Mercedes is showing signs of a failing clear coat. I went and spoke to a reputable shop to find out if it was horrible clear or some type of coating (Simonize Ziebart or what have you) and they confirmed that the car was totally resprayed at some point but very poorly. Low quality products, bad application, poor technique, yup hit all the great points. 

So with that said I do eventually plan to deal with this issue but in the mean time, what would you do? 

I would love to correct what I can but I am worried about total fail. I have been thinking about just giving it a quick clay and then PS and Patriot on top. I want her to shine and look great but also know that I cant fully go after it until the underlying issues are solved. 

Thanks for the advice! 

2 answers to this question

That sounds like a good plan, but start saving your dollars! Not to kick you in the beans, but is there any indication that the repair too is as crappy as the repainted?

Dont know what exactly all the repairs were, it def looks like the front bumper and a couple pieces of body cladding were replaced and repainted (used to be red) so I am hopeful that it was just plastic damage. The grill and hood are one piece and are in decent condition there is one spot around the emblem that we have some questions on but it isnt unfixable. 

It appears that it was probably a Macco style paint job or some kid who was doing one of his first jobs. The paint just flakes off the plastic stuff without much work. 

Ill prob just go out and clay around the damage and put a coat of wax on and see how it goes. its already damaged paint that will need to be dealt with cant destroy it much more lol.