Customer Service 866.965.0400

Spray Paint on Windows

Mariner

Question

So I park my SUV at a company warehouse for 3 weeks while I'm away at sea, and today when I went to wash my windows, I noticed the micro flecks of spray paint all over them. My car is white, so it's not noticeable on the paint right now, at least until I wash it. But here's a small testiment to Adams. After explaining my fury to Dan, TheWolf, he recommended the clay bar. I had the idea, but it's always good to check with the experts. I had sealed all my windows with Glass Sealant and always maintained with Glass Cleaner. Anyways. Here's a before and after from the same window, after some serious elbow grease, a clay bar, and pumpkin detail spray. I'm happy with the results, but was not happy with my company. Hopefully this won't happen again. I'm also in for a helluva weekend with claying the entire car.

post-14423-0-17115300-1472244630_thumb.jpg

post-14423-0-46737100-1472244643_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

Would it be beneficial at all to do two different strip washes and clayings, perhaps to grab any flecks I miss the first time around? Like strip with All Purpose Cleaner, clay, seal or maybe just H2O Guard & Gloss for now, then once I get the strip wash, use that and clay again, then use LPS?

Would it be beneficial at all to do two different strip washes and clayings, perhaps to grab any flecks I miss the first time around? Like strip with All Purpose Cleaner, clay, seal or maybe just H2O Guard & Gloss for now, then once I get the strip wash, use that and clay again, then use LPS?

I think you may just find that's what you will end up doing, as white overspray on a white car is really hard to remove the first time, just too easy to miss some, that you then find more on your next wash.

So yes, it might make sense to just H2O Guard & Gloss for now, so you don't end up spending the extra time on Paint Sealant, then find you need to clay again next week.

When you do clay, I would wash really well, and then dry the whole car before claying.  That way, you can take as long as you need claying each section, without worrying about having the water dry and spot.

And since the spots are so hard to see, really spend time running your bare hand over the paint while claying, to try and feel any spots left so you can hit them again with the clay.

I have had luck with a fresh razor blade on glass. You just need to keep the angle really low and glide it over the glass. Usually will shave the boogers right off. Then just a little clean up and your golden.

Agreed. Razor blades and steel wool are safe on glass when used correctly and require much less effort than claying. But good to see that the clay worked for you. Hopefully you won't have too many issues on the paint then.

I found time to do my 2nd strip wash round using the new Adam's Strip Wash. First of all, I love the ginger ale smell! Second of all, it's an excellent product. I found it pours easy, mixes well, creates lots of suds and maintains it's durability through out the entire wash. After that, I was able to clay again with a fresh bar. I performed the baggie test and the paint felt terrible, even though I'd clayed last week. But using Detail Spray as my lube, I methodically worked through it. The roof was definitely the worst, but when I was done, the paint finally felt smooth again. 

I followed this up with Revive Hand Polish, then LPS. Overall, I'm very happy with Adam's products getting me through this spray paint disaster.