Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need a 2nd Job. CarMax hiring detailers

ramflava

Question

Hello everyone! I'm currently seeking a second part-time job. Due to an ACL reconstruction surgery. I'm on "light duty" and cannot perform my job as a law enforcement officer and thus have taken a bit of a paycut and I have taken on new bills. To add to the bad luck, my dog tore his acl 2 weeks ago and the surgery is $3000. I broke a molar and will have to pay $750 after insurance. To top it off, the rock fell out of my wife's wedding ring ($$$$).

Need less to say my plan to pay of debts has been postponed and I'm on a tight budget.

I read the local CarMax is looking for full time/part time detailers. Does anyone have any experience with this? Will they require me to provide the cleaning products and equipment? What is a fair expected wage for that type of work with a dealership?

12 answers to this question

I assume they will supply all chemicals and equipment, at least thats how it it at my shop. They probably wont be looking for top notch details, quantity over quality. just average joe quality so there cars on the sales lot will look and feel smooth. 

I may check it out then. I was just looking to get some minor details so that I don't waste my time going there. Seems interesting still.

I can live with less involved detailing work since my priority would be the second paycheck. I don't have a customer based to which I can make my own money detailing so this might be a viable option.

Thanks for the input guys!

Which region or state do you work? It might vary based on geographic location. 

Albuquerque, NM

I walked in today to talk to the hiring person. I was met by the front desk person. She said I couldn't talk to them because I needed to apply online first then they'd call me. I had to explain that I'm just trying to get details of the job before I waste anyone's time applying for something that may or may not meet my needs or schedule. She was pretty resistant, but finally took my name and number down to supposedly give to the operations people.....For some reason I see myself having to go back in.

Translation...the pool of applicants in that area is large enough that the hiring company can use their screening techniques and still hire people with the skills they are looking for. Suggestion? Smile and play the game if you think this may be an opportunity that meets your needs.