Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clear Bra Preperation

Ject

Question

Sorry if this is already in a thread but I checked around and couldn't find anything that strictly mentioned this.. (though the site has been loading slow and giving me issues).

I'll be getting a Clear Bra put on my new car once I get it. The catch is, I'll have to drive it home (26miles) to wash, clay, polish and wax the car...

The question I've got I think I already know the answer to (yes) but I'd like to ask some of you.....

Where the Clear Bra will be applied (front of car) should I give it little extra attention? Such as clay, S&H, polish and wax the area really really good, giving it a couple coats of wax.. before having a clear bra put onto it?

I'd assume yes since it'll be the foundation of what i will see for a really long time.

any input would be greatly appreciated. :bow:

17 answers to this question

i would think too much polish and wax would hurt the application. unless i am mistaken ive never had a clear bra, but assume its just clear vinyl stickon basically.

if thats the case, waxing the area will make it so it doesnt stick as well. once again i could be wrong and am very curious about this since i will be getting it put on my new front bumper as soon as i get my new body kit painted.

no wax they are gonna want as close to virgin clean paint they can get to make it stick easier.

So... wash it and leave it at that... ? Makes since, that way it will stick to the car.

You might consider going over the "bra" area with alcohol to get surface as clean as possible. I have had four clear bra applications and have not has an issue with peeling or separation.:2thumbs:

Not sure what my installer did before installing mine but I DID wash, clay and wax it before I brought it to him. He may have used something to remove wax from the paint.

I had sent Chris an email asking about his experience with the clear bra. I am disappointed already with the chips in my paint on the G8. What is everyone's opinion of clear bras? I won't put a regular bra on the car because it made a line across my hood on my Grand Prix.

I had sent Chris an email asking about his experience with the clear bra. I am disappointed already with the chips in my paint on the G8. What is everyone's opinion of clear bras? I won't put a regular bra on the car because it made a line across my hood on my Grand Prix.

Did I get back with you? :o I've been on vacation... Sorry...:o

I love mine but wouldn't you know it... About 3 inches from the bra a rock hit my fender and put a nice sized chip in it...:( I have the paint ready to go but currently have a piece of black electrical tape over the chip to keep it from getting water in it. It's too cold to fix.

I had the guy custom fit some more on the truck area and right in front of the rear wheels where it flares out and behind the front tires too.

Actually guys I can give you a real answer here and not a guess!

I sell a ton of paint protection film and install a fair amount. I provide awesome pricing on it too. For an example check out the prices on my website - ChuforiaGraffix.com of the Lotus kits- my price vs the retail price. I'd be more than happy to drop kits in the mail for you guys.

Anyway's here is your answer:

YES! Detail it. Wax away. 3M has their own polymer sealant they actually recommend being used before the paint protection film is installed. I have used several sealants waxes minutes before the clear bra installation including Meguires NXT and gold class, Zaino, 3M, etc (remember I'm a new Adams member- so don't beat me!) on the really tough spots we will remove the polish first- like around the edges of the hood where the film wraps. Acutally I just installed new rocker coverage on my Elise yesterday. After 4 years and 44k miles including a few track days I was ready to freshen it up a little for a big show/gathering I'm doing in a couple months. (if you aren't familiar with the Lotus the rockers take a real beating, especially when running R compound wider tires and tracking them. all the other coverage is still fine though) I had used NXT on it 4 years ago when I put it on and never had any issues with the edges lifting or anything. Personally I would stick more with a synthetic polymer sealant over a carnuba wax, but that is just my personal opinion as it's closer to what 3M recommends. A customer returned with his black C5 Z06 last week (to add more protection with a new full coverage door kit) and he preferred Meguires Gold Class and and had brought it with him. When he was done wiping it off, we covered the doors and no problems. Just clear as glass protected black Z06 doors.

All clear bras are not the same. There are several products on the market, and several grades by each manufacturer. Coated, uncoated, thick, thin- there is a lot. All you need to know is I sell the best. lol. (I stick to the big brands, only coated films, 8M thickness, etc). I use high grade 3M and depending on the application another brand as well (don't want to give all my secrets away but it's good enough for the local Ferrari, Aston, Lambo, Lotus, Porsche, etc dealers) which is a little more "stretchy" and easier to self install, as well as stronger. Both are amazingly optically clear and even on a black car you absolutely cannot tell they are on there from more than 5 feet away. And when the whole panel is wrapped you can't tell from closer than that, even on black.

The stuff is Amazingly easy to work with and very forgivable. Its pretty hard to F it up- unless you don't clean the car or drop the sticky side on the ground. If you are competent and can operate a spray bottle and a rubber squeegee (I'll include one and instructions) you will be able to install a kit.

Edited by SweetDaddyDelicious

Thanks for that response Keith!

I don't want to get shot but I'll have to do a little research on what the 3M synthetic polymer sealant product is that they recommend for a sealant over a carnuba wax..

I'll be set to go afterward!