Customer Service 866.965.0400

LPS Left a Haze

ouhockeyplayer

Question

I polished and then sealed my car with liquid paint sealant a few weeks ago and now just noticed a strange haze on the hood when the sun hits it just right.  The sealant was applied by my Porter Cable on a speed setting of 2.  I applied two coats with an hour in between coats so that might be my problem right there (too much product).  Anyway, the haze actually looks like circular marks in the rotation of my pad (not swirl marks though).  Almost like I didn't buff it all off after application.  They car has been washed once since application and wiped down with detail spray so that did not get rid of it.  Any ideas on how to remove these marks? Brilliant Glaze application?  I'm trying to put the car away for the winter this weekend so I would like to try and avoid doing another polishing to the hood if at all possible.  

9 answers to this question

Paint correcting polish followed by finishing polishes and then wiped down with 50% alcohol water mixture to remove polishing oils before applying sealant. It might be possible I missed a few spots in removing polish as it's not all over the hood. I might just suck it up and re-polish the hood this weekend since examining it in the garage tonight revealed some light marring in spots.

Paint correcting polish followed by finishing polishes and then wiped down with 50% alcohol water mixture to remove polishing oils before applying sealant. It might be possible I missed a few spots in removing polish as it's not all over the hood. I might just suck it up and re-polish the hood this weekend since examining it in the garage tonight revealed some light marring in spots.

Good to hear you tried to remove the polishing oils before you sealed, as that is my guess to your issue.

Before polishing the hood, try just wiping one of the problem areas with 70% IPA a few times to remove the LPS and the polishing oils that may be on the surface, then reapply the sealant.

It could be like you said, and you missed some, or your towel had too much residue on it and was not wiping clean.

It is a little surprising how much residue is left on the surface when just wiping polish residue with a dry towel.  A good way to see this for yourself is to hand polish with Revive, wipe with a dry towel really well, then go back over it with a clean towel and IPA, and you will see the additional blue residue that gets removed.

In this pic, the dry towel on the left was used to remove the residue, then the two towels on the right were used to wipe again with IPA.  You can see the blue color of the additional residue that was removed.

20141107_163414.jpg

Before polishing the hood, try just wiping one of the problem areas with 70% IPA a few times to remove the LPS and the polishing oils that may be on the surface, then reapply the sealant.

Do you always use straight 70% IPA or do ever use an alcohol-water mix?

Do you always use straight 70% IPA or do ever use an alcohol-water mix?

I dilute it with distilled water to about 50% alcohol.  I suggested that Brian use it full strength since he will be removing two layers of fresh sealant.

Diluting the IPA with distilled water makes it evaporate a little slower, so you have more time to wipe while still damp.

Thanks everyone.  I'll give the alcohol wipe down a try.  The hard part is going to be getting the lighting right to tell if I'm effective or not.  Like I said its been a bit since I applied the sealant and the sun happened to be just right for me to see it the other day.  Normal people would most likely shrug it off but my OCD knows its there.