Customer Service 866.965.0400

Getting a little down.

Jrosacker

So I've been trying to open a small detailing business, I think I'm switching to starting a mobile detailing business. But I need advice because the only cars I've been doing are really old and VERY dirty ones, I guess on really old cars that are all rusty I don't really know how to make them look nice. Any help appreciated.

Edited by Jrosacker

I have been detailing as a hobby/small part time income since 1995. I know how it is.

I started out with plain old cars that were a PIA to detail because they were old. But eventually as you get more experience in the field you will gain more satisfied customers. Word of mouth is key and your results will make your clientele improve.  I never opened my own ..always wanted to but the rent and leases for the bays are out of control here. People are getting 1500-2000 per bay a month plus utilities. I just kept it a PT thing. Weather is getting cold and crappy so Im limited on time except for the couple customers that let me use their 3-4 car garages that have heat and hot water. 

You can't pick your customers.

Actually, you can.  I do it all the time.  The question is at what point can you afford to turn away work.  

Pricing in this business should be based on size of car and it's current condition.  If someone is offering a flat rate, I'm happy to let people go use one of the flat rate services and they will get what they pay for.  I tell new customers that the first time I work on their car, it is most likely going to be more expensive and if they choose to maintain it better and/or return for regularly scheduled intervals, it will be less expensive on return visits because we won't need to do as much work.   You also need to figure out what the customer's expectations are as well.

Mark is correct that as your results are learned among the community, you will weed out some, but probably not all of the types of cars you're referring to.  Good luck!

Kudos to you all who detail as a business! Back-breaking work for relatively little pay vs time. Also I think I would be frustrated knowing that 99 percent will just swirl up your work anyway, but I guess that is just extra business in the long run.

I get tired enough maintaining our family cars, and I'm 30! :-)

I should clarify, you shouldn't be picky about your customers when you are just starting out. I think it is unrealistic to think you will be detailing Corvettes, Porsches, etc just starting out.

I guess I'm either very lucky or have been going about marketing and promotion all wrong......LOL   

Seriously,  you really do need to vet your customers.  If they want their 20 year old, 180K mile Toyota Corolla to look like it rolled off the showroom floor, you're going to lose your shirt on those types of jobs and it would likely need more than just polishing.  The cost of the service will likely exceed the value of the car.  If you don't think you can make the customer happy, don't take the job.  You'll be better off in the long run.

You can give different prices for different levels of service.  That alone will weed out the serious customers from the tire kickers and enable you to meet expectations and still ensure you make some money in the process.  Of course, this means that you have to be able to deliver on your promise.

Chris is right that you will probably be more likely to get daily drivers at the beginning, but that's a good thing.  It will enable you to gain the needed experience and hone your skills for when the weekend toys start rolling in.  I was fortunate enough to pull most of my startup jobs from fellow car club members and word spread from there.    I've been a long time member of Porsche Club of America and Audi Club North America.  

Jaden, I pick my cars, I also have a policy that states I only do cars that are five years old or newer unless they are very well taken care of. Its what I call my you care I care policy. I also give people options per their budget depending on their needs.