Customer Service 866.965.0400

Gel Coat

pmichael2011

Question

Santa dropped off the new Swirl Killer  the blue, orange and microfiber pad, as well as a detail spray, Heavy Correcting Compound and Correcting polish.  

Being as I am also an avid fisherman are there any products that aren't compatible with my boats gel coat? 

Seeing as gel coat is more porous than automotive paint, would my new Adams work or should I use something made specifically for marine coating applications?

Time off and high winds have me contemplating detailing the boat and the new toy is just begging to be used.

11 answers to this question

I had good results using the correcting polish and microfiber pad on a wet sanded gelcoat repair on a Robalo .

I was using my PC.I have a new SK also now,It would have made the job even easier and I think the heavy correcting compound would have worked great on the scratches.

Give it a try,If the boat is out of the water and you're not sure try it below the water line first.

Edited by 1911A1

You should be fine starting with the heavy if it's real bad. Depending on the color you might not have to use correcting polish.

I had a black 1983 v drive drag boat that needed some serious help and all I did was use some heavy cut compound. It cleaned up nice.

Thanks for the tips. Thankfully it's not at the wet sand stage, it just doesn't have that showroom shine it did when new 4 years ago. Which is what I would like to get back.

I would preferably like to stick with 1 manufacturers product to lessen the need to have a cluttered stock pile, however, I will if Adams products aren't up the task nor are they made for my ultimate goal...

No offense meant to Adams whatsoever.

Current gel coat condition. Mind you the weather is grey and dreary so the color (Abaco Green) isn't as noticeable as if it were sunny out.

post-14877-0-76133800-1482794620_thumb.jpeg

post-14877-0-21793300-1482794641_thumb.jpeg

post-14877-0-25127900-1482794655_thumb.jpeg

The Adam's CP with a MF pad should be ok for 4 year old gel coat.  Very oxidized gel coat usually requires sanding or a rotary to get the shine back.

Boat is washed on a monthly basis when not used and washed after every trip as well as between trips.

There is no real oxidation to speak of, I'm just looking to up the shine factor.

The Adam's CP with a MF pad should be ok for 4 year old gel coat. Very oxidized gel coat usually requires sanding or a rotary to get the shine back.

My black gel coat was pretty much grey it was so bad. Hadn't been touched in about 10 years before I cleaned it up.

No sanding needed. I just used a heavy cut compound with a foam pad.

I know it's pretty dusty but you can see that it's got a nice black gel under it.

1B44042B-DF4B-4307-A1B6-70C66200CA4E_zps

My black gel coat was pretty much grey it was so bad. Hadn't been touched in about 10 years before I cleaned it up.

No sanding needed. I just used a heavy cut compound with a foam pad.

I know it's pretty dusty but you can see that it's got a nice black gel under it.

1B44042B-DF4B-4307-A1B6-70C66200CA4E_zps

Looks fast just sitting on the trailer. Love the colors.

Heading into town now to find some extra 5 1/2" pads.

Thanks. It was good for about 100 mph with that setup. That was the base setup. I had built that big block for a blower. But wanted to get it dialed in before I put it on.

One fall I didn't get enough fogging oil in it and it got moisture in it and rusted the cylinder walls some so I took it apart to build a bigger engine and decided to sell it back to one of its previous owners and friend after my son was born.

He's doing a nice 468 big block now and should easily go over 120 with it.

DRAGBOAT.jpg