Customer Service 866.965.0400

Windshield Help/Advice

neontrucks

I know some one on here replaces and fixes windshields, was just wondering if GM uses a softer glass than most others. Having problems with scratches on my 2016, have tried diffrent ice scrapers and techniques and am still having issues. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

I know some one on here replaces and fixes windshields, was just wondering if GM uses a softer glass than most others. Having problems with scratches on my 2016, have tried diffrent ice scrapers and techniques and am still having issues. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Can you tell me what brand of glass that's on your car? It's posted on one of the corners of your windshield.

I do windshield repairs lol.

Ok yes the GM glass is what I call very brittle, I've seen issues where even scraping the glass with a razor blade will leave scratches on front and side glass. I've noticed this problem since 2008, GM and most German glass is very brittle. The only two brands that I have seen and are more resilient are the brands PPG or LOF.

I would look for a windshield snow cover to place on the glass that way you avoid doing further damage to your glass and it will help you from scraping the windshield as much.

I have always been so loyal to GM, buy I'm thinking about my next vehicle and the cards aren't aligning for GM this time.

Absolutely right GM Junk!

can't say I'm in love with my 16 Silverado, GM build quality isn't what it used to be. Don't know if any other manufacturers are any better though.

Well I can tell you Toyota glass must be soft as hell as I have a 2016 4Runner and I just got my windshield replaced due to micro pitting

Dustin you can only blame your self on the micropitting, this usually happens when you tailgate cars and cars in the lanes next to you flinging debris, next time your driving on the expressway stick your hand out the window, most of the time you can feel the debi in the air that you don't realize is there. Yes most glass does pit easily, with that said you'll see the same problem in a few months.

Dustin you can only blame your self on the micropitting, this usually happens when you tailgate cars and cars in the lanes next to you flinging debris, next time your driving on the expressway stick your hand out the window, most of the time you can feel the debi in the air that you don't realize is there. Yes most glass does pit easily, with that said you'll see the same problem in a few months.

I get what you're saying but about 99% of the time I drive with my fiancée and 2 dogs, so I can promise you that I definitely don't tailgate. I always allow plenty of room in front of me to stop because I don't want my dogs to go airborne. Toyota glass is junk. Just check the forums. Very common, and even the safellite guy agreed.

Edited by Mariner

Your lucky to have zero deductible on glass. Not very common up here. Since your lucky if your windshield lasts you a full year.

Also you don't have to be tailgating to get pits. If the wind blows up dust, cars in front of you kicking up dustor small pebbles, many things can cause it.

But I have cracked out a few Toyota windshields over the years doing chip repairs.

I think all the glass is getting softer and thinner to cut the costs and make more profit. Toyota, Audi, Acura, VW, BMW all at the top of the list.

Op. If you want to cut down on the scratching let your truck warm up for 5-10 minutes and you'll be good to go. My windshield is pretty clear and 95% clear in 15 minutes.

Also it could be your wipers causing some of the scratches. That's what I see on my replacements and repairs more then scraper marks.

Edited by FrozenWS6

My truck takes forever to warm up, had dealer look at and they say it's normal, so I almost always have to scape. The marks are going side ways and don't follow the path of the wipers. Most of them are 1.5" to 2.5" long, but when I scrape my motion is longer than that so I'm not sure what's up with the scratches

Edited by neontrucks

That's surprising that it takes long to warm up. My DD is an 07 TBSS and even at 20 below my windows are clear in 15 minutes of warming up.

Since the scratches are that short it leads me to believe there was dust or fine rocks or something similar that have caused it. That may have been frozen to the glass.

That's surprising that it takes long to warm up. My DD is an 07 TBSS and even at 20 below my windows are clear in 15 minutes of warming up.

Since the scratches are that short it leads me to believe there was dust or fine rocks or something similar that have caused it. That may have been frozen to the glass.

My truck takes forever to warm up, had dealer look at and they say it's normal, so I almost always have to scape. The marks are going side ways and don't follow the path of the wipers. Most of them are 1.5" to 2.5" long, but when I scrape my motion is longer than that so I'm not sure what's up with the scratches

If your truck is petrol (gas) it will warm up quicker, whereas if it is a diesel, they are more thermally efficient so they take a lot longer to warm up. Just a thought - we don't get snow here so I have no idea how much that would affect the warming up procedure  :ph34r:

If your truck is petrol (gas) it will warm up quicker, whereas if it is a diesel, they are more thermally efficient so they take a lot longer to warm up. Just a thought - we don't get snow here so I have no idea how much that would affect the warming up procedure :ph34r:

I'm an automotive technician, so I have a pretty good idea of how soon a gas or diesel should take to warm up. That being said I've already gone rounds with the dealer that my truck is slow to warm up, 10 to 15 min. sometimes to blow good warm air. If there is thick ice I have to scrape, it doesn't melt by the time I get to where I'm going.

Yes I would have to agree some kind of debriss was frozen on the window.

I'm an automotive technician, so I have a pretty good idea of how soon a gas or diesel should take to warm up. That being said I've already gone rounds with the dealer that my truck is slow to warm up, 10 to 15 min. sometimes to blow good warm air. If there is thick ice I have to scrape, it doesn't melt by the time I get to where I'm going.

What have they done to address the problem? Or have they just done the could not duplicate dance. I'd say keep documenting it. Call GM customer care and demand a higher level technician work on it. Being in the industry I'm sure you know this but sometimes it's not our first thought. I know when I was a VW tech, I all too often just dealt with my own cars issues due to not having the energy to look into them when I had free time.

Or try going to a different dealer and see if their more helpful.

But for me I'd be up in the dealership owners office because not having much heat is a major safety issue up here.

Edited by FrozenWS6