Customer Service 866.965.0400

Replacing MB Cord

LFairbanks

Question

Anybody else have an issue?  While drying my car last weekend I noticed that the ground prong was extremely loose.  I grabbed it and it fell off in my hands.  Ordered up a new cord and replaced it.  Had a hang up with pulling the rear cover off, I used a pick that was angled at 90 degrees, and it come out fairly easy.  I even tried pulling on the bolt that secures the knob over the filter and couldn't get it to come loose.  Hardest part was figuring out how the wire grommet worked.  You squeeze it.  Replaced the wire and wire nuts and am good to go.  I was surprised how much dust was in there even with a filter.  I ordered some filters a while back, but have seemed to have hid them from myself.  Ordered some more.  

Yes, I could have just cut the plug portion off, and replaced it, but I chose not to.

You can see the dust ring below after I had wiped it out.  I was surprised how much was in there even with a filter.  

post-706-0-29364800-1491751195_thumb.jpg

Had to trim the rubber back on the new cord to match the old.

post-706-0-13761300-1491751283_thumb.jpg

The wire grommet.

post-706-0-55587100-1491751309_thumb.jpg

All back together with new wire nuts on the wires I took apart. 

post-706-0-81514800-1491751348_thumb.jpg

New and old cord ends showing the missing ground prong.

post-706-0-39784500-1491751364_thumb.jpg

Ground prong that fell off.  

post-706-0-05164400-1491751381_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

​Chris, thanks for the write-up and pictures!  :2thumbs: 

​No issue with mine, but good to know information for a potential issue.

​Did you order the replacement power cord direct from Master or did you source it locally to you?

You can see the dust ring below after I had wiped it out.  I was surprised how much was in there even with a filter.  

I wonder if the dust you are seeing is from the motor itself? I'm thinking the brushes and commutator wear produces dust as they wear.  Just a thought.