Customer Service 866.965.0400

Flat black/matte black-How to keep them not shiny?

SweetDaddyDelicious

Question

I searched "flat black" and "matte black" and found nothing.

So pro detailers let me know.

I do a lot of striping on vehicles (especially Lotus vehicles) and matte black has certainly been trendy over the past year. I have them on my own car as well. Anyway most cleaning products, washes, etc tend to make the products shiny or show build up in them. What can I use that will clean them and not give them a sheen. The Adams clear polish is great for my gloss vinyl (and paint protection film) projects and I recommend it to my customers- but I'd also like to find a product that is great on matte as well.

Surely someone with an old muscle car with a flat black hood, or one of the new retro cars like the Challenger has an answer here.

17 answers to this question

I believe one member was using Revive Polish on the stripes on his Cobra ?

Not sure if you were referring to me bud, I did post about that a while back. I don't have matte stripes though, I have gloss black. Worked great though! For flat black, I honestly have no idea...hopefully Adam or someone will chime in here with a good tip. :confused:

Not sure if you were referring to me bud, I did post about that a while back. I don't have matte stripes though, I have gloss black. Worked great though! For flat black, I honestly have no idea...hopefully Adam or someone will chime in here with a good tip. :confused:

Yes !!!!!!!

It was you I was thinking of. Thanks for clearing that up :hi::hi::hi:

I talked to Jason on it quite some time ago and he sent me a sample to try! It did put a gloss on the matte vinyl, so I can't use it for that. It's not all bad though- turns out I love the product for what it is actually intended for and it works great on gloss vinyl and the clear bra.

You know, I think I'll try the cleaner I always use before installing the stripes....rubbing alcohol. I know it won't leave a residue behind- but again it will strip the wax if I get it on paint next to them. To wax the car I mask the stripes with blue tape. Kind of a hassle. I may just change them over to gloss. I'm going to change them one way or another anyway. Either to gloss- or a much flatter black that looks like a chalk board. Of course then I'll kick myself because it will even harder to keep up. Maybe I'll do one gloss and one flat since it's dual offset stripe anyway.

Hi Keith, sorry for being late with a response! I've been using our Clear Spray for several things lately, and one of them is as an Interior Detail Spray.

We formulated the product to use on the Clear Bra, however, since it's not meant to add substantial gloss, and is made to wipe completely clean, even on an invisible surface, I'm thinking that might be the product for you.

Maybe we can get you a sample, try it, and report back with your findings??:thumbsup:

Hi Keith, sorry for being late with a response! I've been using our Clear Spray for several things lately, and one of them is as an Interior Detail Spray.

We formulated the product to use on the Clear Bra, however, since it's not meant to add substantial gloss, and is made to wipe completely clean, even on an invisible surface, I'm thinking that might be the product for you.

Maybe we can get you a sample, try it, and report back with your findings??:thumbsup:

Sounds good to me!

And if doesn't work for that, I'd like an interior detail spray that doesn't leave things greasy anyway.

:iagree::iagree: I like absolutely zero shine on my interior, I like the 100% factory look.

I'm not big on very shiny tires either.

On the Lotus it's kind of a no no anyway. Greased up tires for a car going on the track :willy:

At the 28th Lotus Owners Gathering last year everyone that had their car detailed by the local detailers didn't have their happy faces on the next day at the track trying to use brake clean and alcohol to get it off. "No tire shine" was on option on the detail sheet but the Hilton's detailers didn't really listen. lol. I like the clean rubber look but can't stand the real shiny look on tires (on my car anyway) If you are an icy hot stunna running 22's on your whip- then I guess it's fine. If you roll into the Lotus meet with greased up tires you are going to be mocked.

Ironically it's a very anti-bling crowd, despite the car itself being a little flashy. Black wheels are the trend (and offered from the factory).

I'm not big on very shiny tires either.

On the Lotus it's kind of a no no anyway. Greased up tires for a car going on the track :willy:

At the 28th Lotus Owners Gathering last year everyone that had their car detailed by the local detailers didn't have their happy faces on the next day at the track trying to use brake clean and alcohol to get it off. "No tire shine" was on option on the detail sheet but the Hilton's detailers didn't really listen. lol. I like the clean rubber look but can't stand the real shiny look on tires (on my car anyway) If you are an icy hot stunna running 22's on your whip- then I guess it's fine. If you roll into the Lotus meet with greased up tires you are going to be mocked.

Ironically it's a very anti-bling crowd, despite the car itself being a little flashy. Black wheels are the trend (and offered from the factory).

I love to just put it on my rear tires so I can go drifting at the race track!

All in all I make sure if I'm going to the race track I get NONE on any part of the tread!