Customer Service 866.965.0400

Spot cleaning

ouhockeyplayer

Question

Wondering what everyones procedure is for removing small contaminants or spot cleaning when something lands on your paint?  At work, my car is parked near some tress (not under them) and it seems like there is always something blowing onto the car and sticking to the paint.  In order to avoid scratching the paint or creating wiping streaks I usually spay a small amount of waterless wash (rinse less mixed with water) onto the waffle weave towel and gently wipe the spot.  However, I noticed when the sun hits the spot I usually have wiping streaks or can see an outline in the paint on where the contaminant was.  Assuming it must be some sort of tree sap.  Ive always been nervous to spray a spot directly with waterless or detail spray on the car and wipe with a microfiber even if the car is not that dusty.  The car has a fresh coat of Sonax Polymer Netsheild (I know not an Adams sealant but it is what I had at the time) so I would assume it is pretty well protected. 

4 answers to this question

I too approach spot treatment this way and end with the same wipe results, so eventually I just end up doing that whole panel, and then I will usually notice a difference between that panel and the other ones and decide I might as well give the whole car a wipe down lol. I am not crazy I promise. 

If you are concerned with scratching or swirling the paint up by spraying directly on there and wiping you shouldn't be, especially if the car isn't dirty, just wipe with light pressure and you will be fine. Better to wipe 5 times with light pressure and remove the contaminant than wipe once with excessive pressure and scratch the paint as you remove the contaminant. 

I think it depends on what exactly lands on the car. If its bird droppings, i hit it with a bunch of waterless wash. Once its fully covered, ill clean it off with a waffle weave. 

If its tree sap, get a bottle of alcohol. Jim Beam works good and pour yourself a drink because its going to be a PITA to remove all the sap. 

But after its all clean I have to go back and give it a final wipe with detail spray to bring back the shine and get rid of any wipe marks

Edited by Chonke

I had a bird bomb chill on my hood for 24hrs (a few months back) i did 2 sprays of my diluted rinseless, let it sit for 20 seconds, the bird bomb started floating.

When you wipe it, pull up and away so you dont drag the dirt or bomb, this will ensure more clean towel on your paint and again, pull the dirt away.