Customer Service 866.965.0400

01 Camaro

SBC_Maro

Question

Hi guys, just joined here hoping to get some expert knowledge on detailing under the hood.

I have an 01 camaro that needs the motor cleaned, but im worried about getting things wet and causing damage. any advice would be great.

thanks, Louise

9 answers to this question

First off, welcome to the forum!

I don't know anything about the engine in the 01 Camaro, however, some detailing rules will apply across the board. The first being, never use any high pressure water. That will do nothing but force dirt and water into area that may cause issues. Adam's makes 2 products that I have successfully used on the motor, one being the Undercarriage Spray and the other being the All Purpose Cleaner. I don't have a very dirty engine so both worked great for me. Maybe one of the guys who have put both to the test will chime in on which they feel is better. I would do this while the engine is warm, NOT hot.

Scrub as much of the engine as you can with a sponge and then rinse it off immediately using either a soft running stream of water or a gentle shower style stream of water. Try and not drown any area that contains electronics with water or cleaner. After you have rinsed the motor, immediately start it up and let it idle long enough to dry itself. You should be okay after that.

Good luck!

Welcome to AF.

I've used APC (full strength) on the lower half of the engine, without a problem. As AJ, said... avoid direct streams of water on the electronics.

For detailing, I use the VRT and Undercarriage Spray. VRT on the engine parts and the Undercarriage spray on the firewall and fenders.

Good luck..:thumbsup:

Be sure and watch the video's on the Adams web site. They are very helpful.

Some people dilute the VRT with water to spray it on in areas you can't reach. I prefer to use it on a rag or sponge stick to apply a nice clean look to my underhood areas. :thumbsup: