Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rust Specs on White

ouhockeyplayer

Question

I have a brand new Colorado ZR2 in Summit White and I noticed that after driving in the snow and slush that I am getting these little rust specs all over the side of my truck.  I have, what I think, is a good layer of Adams Paint Sealant down, but the only thing that seems to take them off is clay.  I guess wheel cleaner might decon the paint as well.  Now this is annoying because I will have to keep applying protection to the areas that I clay the spots off since I believe clay will remove the sealant (wheel cleaner as well).  Anyone else with white paint deal with these constantly?  Was hoping the sealant would keep them from happening.  Would a ceramic coating be the ultimate defense against them?  Are they causing any harm to the paint if they are on there for a week or two when winter washing is difficult? 

4 answers to this question

The rust specs are part of fallout from the environment. You can use wheel cleaner or other well known products to remove them. It’s a good idea to do to your vehicle a few times a year anyway. We use them every time we do a job for a client pretty much.

Using an iron dissolver makes clay that much easier. A coating will be helpful, but won’t entirely eliminate the need for these products. 

People let the iron specks sit for years. Most people don’t clay between details, at least as far as our clients go. So we remove them generally once or twice per year and clients are happy. 

Thanks.  It was 36 degrees out yesterday so I gave the truck a wash.  I know I'm crazy.  Used the Adams Wheel Cleaner and clay on a few spots to get them all off.  Then resealed the truck again knowing the protection I put on when I got the truck was most likely stripped now.  Maybe I need to not let my OCD get the best of me and live with them for a little bit in between washes so I'm not constantly removing and adding protection to my paint.