Customer Service 866.965.0400

Black C7 Z06 - Brand New but needs help - Check my plan

LSX Maestro

Question

So, going to be bringing home my C7 Z06.  The car sat in the showroom for over a year before I bought it.  During that time it was subjected to I'm sure countless "Quick detail" wipe downs with garbage towels and products as well as probably people walking by it and touching it, purses and bags that accidentally swing into it, coat zippers, etc.  It has quite a few light swirls/spiderwebbing and 2-3 spots with heavier marks (Not scratches though).  I'm thinking that I'll just need Correcting and Finishing to get it to a crazy mirror condition.  

So here's my plan:

1. Strip Wash
  2. Decontamination with Wheel Cleaner
  3. Clay with soap suds (As to avoid putting wax on the surface again)
  4. Re-wash
  5. Correcting Polish (I will experiment and see if Finishing is all that I need to get the light stuff out)
  6. Finishing Polish
  7. Coating prep wipe-down
  8. Apply LPS with gray pad
  9. Apply H2O GG

Wheels:

1. Thorough cleaning with Wheel Cleaner and TRC
  2. Coating Prep wipe-down
  3. Apply LPS
  4. Apply H2O
  5. Apply Tire Shine

Here's a sticking point; I want to get the front bumper covered in XPEL.  Should I do the the whole process above but then skip any wax/coating on the front bumper and then take it to the XPEL shop?  Or should I just correct the front bumper, have it XPELed, bring it home, and then do the rest of the correcting/LPS work?  

Also, how well does LPS go over XPEL? 

How many pads do you guys recommend for each polish? 

Also, if I were to incorporate a layer of Brilliant Glaze, when should it be done? I'm thinking on top of the LPS but below the H2O? I know some put it under LPS but I can't help but feeling like it must leave some kind of a residue or even just dust/contaminates from a microfiber that would lessen the longevity of the LPS. 

Going to be loading up on all the products/things I'm going to need before I get started.  

8 answers to this question

Another sweet ride!  You’re making me jealous. So here’s some thoughts on your plan...

I’m with you until clay with soap suds. I wouldn’t use soap, instead we use diluted rinseless. It’s super slippery and doesn’t impede your view of the contamination that you’re trying to remove. You get a look at your finish as you go.  64:1 is adequate and a very inexpensive clay lube. We sometimes mix ours a little higher. 

Instead of H2O GG over sealant, I would glaze it and wax it with two thin layers. The wax will give another sacrificial layer and help lock the glaze in for a slightly longer look. Use H2O GG for occasional maintenance between full details.

Glaze should go on top of paint sealant, but before wax. It can be done the other way, but ideally the sealant should bond to bare paint. 

On to your Xpel question...if you’re doing PPF, get it done before you start any of your detailing with the exception of polishing the areas you’ll have PPF applied. They’re going to be all over your car to install it. And to install it properly they need to strip everything off of the finish. Once it’s done and back in your possession, go to town.  Sealants, waxes and coatings will go over PPF without difficulty. It’s treated essentially like paint with the exception of polishing. We commonly use Revive hand polish for PPF. If it needs more, delicate fine polish with very light pressure. Heat and friction are not your friends with PPF and it’s historically a soft product. Be very cautious. It’s why it’s a great candidate for Revive. 

Most of all, don’t forget to post pics so we can be jealous!

I like the Rinseless idea a lot, don't know why I didn't think of that.  As for Glaze and Wax, I received a Buttery Wax in a kit but it's pretty weak stuff.  So if you're recommending wax then maybe Americana should be added to the order.  Since we only have a 4-6 month "nice" weather window, two coats of Americana a year will probably be all that I'd need and H2O may not be necessary altogether. 

Here’s a shot as she sits right now.   It's a Z07 car so it sits too high for my tastes and not a fan of the "gray" wheels it has.  Going to be doing all sorts of little things to it.  More carbon pieces, lower it with LG drop spindles, dark LED sidemarkers, different wheels (Thinking GM Cup wheels or going aftermarket forged), tints, intake, exhaust, etc.  

AA633728-DE14-4600-B895-727691EF0F1C.jpeg

Edited by LSX Maestro

21 minutes ago, LSX Maestro said:

I like the Rinseless idea a lot, don't know why I didn't think of that.  As for Glaze and Wax, I received a Buttery Wax in a kit but it's pretty weak stuff.  So if you're recommending wax then maybe Americana should be added to the order.  Since we only have a 4-6 month "nice" weather window, two coats of Americana a year will probably be all that I'd need and H2O may not be necessary altogether. 

You’re absolutely spot on that buttery is weak. We have it but don’t use it often quite honestly. I’d even recommend patriot for a car like that. Not as durable as Americana, but the gloss is second to none. 

You’re also correct that since it’s not a daily driver, you could skip the H2O GG. In fact, I think I would do just that. 

There are quite a few LSP options that could be discussed at length...

Edited by shane@detailedreflections

11 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

You’re absolutely spot on that buttery is weak. We have it but don’t use it often quite honestly. I’d even recommend patriot for a car like that. Not as durable as Americana, but the gloss is second to none. 

You’re also correct that since it’s not a daily driver, you could skip the H2O GG. In fact, I think I would do just that. 

There are quite a few LSP options that could be discussed at length...

Probably going to do the same process to my ZL1 when it comes in.  Glaze + Americana in the cart, will try Patriot next.  Now how often should I do the Americana? Every month or so?  I'm aware there are tons of great LSPs out there.  I was considering adding a few different brands and products but I'm kind of a continuity guy so I'm going to try to keep it mostly Adam's.  Other forums highly praise certain LSPs but out of respect for Adam's we can have that talk elsewhere.  

9 minutes ago, LSX Maestro said:

Probably going to do the same process to my ZL1 when it comes in.  Glaze + Americana in the cart, will try Patriot next.  Now how often should I do the Americana? Every month or so?  I'm aware there are tons of great LSPs out there.  I was considering adding a few different brands and products but I'm kind of a continuity guy so I'm going to try to keep it mostly Adam's.  Other forums highly praise certain LSPs but out of respect for Adam's we can have that talk elsewhere.  

Americana should last several months in the elements, but if this is mostly garage kept, you could easily get 6 months.  Now you may want to increase that frequency if you need some 'garage therapy'.  Brilliant Glaze + Americana is a fantastic combination (BG over or under, your choice - I apply BG first, then top with Americana for customers) and will really make that black paint 'pop'.  The tub of Americana will last a looong time, even used frequently...it goes on soooo smooth, and comes off easy too.  

1 minute ago, mc2hill said:

Americana should last several months in the elements, but if this is mostly garage kept, you could easily get 6 months.  Now you may want to increase that frequency if you need some 'garage therapy'.  Brilliant Glaze + Americana is a fantastic combination (BG over or under, your choice - I apply BG first, then top with Americana for customers) and will really make that black paint 'pop'.  The tub of Americana will last a looong time, even used frequently...it goes on soooo smooth, and comes off easy too.  

Yep that would be the plan.  I can't wait to see how it looks on a perfect black finish.  

This does kind of raise a question for me...I use H2O GG on my truck right now as it's the only vehicle that's been out since I've started using Adam's and I love how it looks on the black wheels and white paint, it even darkens black plastic, and the beading has been great.  I don't find H2O particularly easy to apply, but it's not difficult either.  Where would it fit in when you could use Americana or similar? H2O might take a bit less time but does Americana out perform it in gloss, beading, and protection against the elements? 

6 minutes ago, LSX Maestro said:

Yep that would be the plan.  I can't wait to see how it looks on a perfect black finish.  

This does kind of raise a question for me...I use H2O GG on my truck right now as it's the only vehicle that's been out since I've started using Adam's and I love how it looks on the black wheels and white paint, it even darkens black plastic, and the beading has been great.  I don't find H2O particularly easy to apply, but it's not difficult either.  Where would it fit in when you could use Americana or similar? H2O might take a bit less time but does Americana out perform it in gloss, beading, and protection against the elements? 

Americana is definitely easier to use, but will not protect as long.  I know Americana will give a great look, but not sure if I can compare the 'gloss' to H2O, as I have never compared them like that.  With a 'garage' queen H2O maybe overkill.  Either product would last a long time if it is only outside occasionally.

If it was my car (I wish!) I would go with BG + Americana, then top with BG before a show or special outing.  Apply BG + wax every 3-4 months, and Strip Wash once a year and reapply.