Customer Service 866.965.0400

Righting the wrongs

8675309'SS

Question

So now that the weather is nice I’m able to work on my Astra’s paint. It’s bad. I got the lights that Shane posted the shopping list for —thanks for that! They make my dark garage brighter than a Mensa International member.  I’ve decided to just do a panel or two at a time, and started tonight.  But I am not sure what I am doing wrong with my microfiber cutting pad and correcting polish.  I’m not getting that oily look.  Am I using too much polish? Not enough? Not working it  long enough? I can get it with the correcting polish/foam pad, and finishing polish/ foam pad. 

I’ll update this post with more pictures and specifics once done.

C4C6E86D-C65A-4854-9B92-CC1744414A7A.jpeg

78357C6F-59B7-424A-B2B9-AF4A935B133A.jpeg

B5165BC5-5CEF-423C-9B2E-C3D86C615CF4.jpeg

Edited by 8675309'SS

6 answers to this question

One thing that comes to mind is are you brushing the microfiber pad often?  Once the fibers lay down, they lose a ton of their cutting ability and may not be working the polish as much as moving it around.

It’s just a thought...we don’t do all that much with microfiber pads. We do wool and a variety of foam pads. 

Glad the light setup is working out for people!

Are you speaking of Adam's Correcting Polish? I have used it a quite a bit this last week or two.  With the Foam pads it breaks down and gets that oily look pretty quickly after working it a few passes.  A little bit does go a VERY long ways.  Often after doing 2-3 sections, all you need is a mist of Detail Spray and start a new section.  There's usually plenty in the pad.  But you don't want to "run it dry" either.  So try working it longer, and use a bit less especially after the pad is quite full of polish.  Brush it after each section too. 

11 hours ago, 8675309'SS said:

...  But I am not sure what I am doing wrong with my microfiber cutting pad and correcting polish.  I’m not getting that oily look.  Am I using too much polish? Not enough? Not working it  long enough? I can get it with the correcting polish/foam pad, and finishing polish/ foam pad. 

It may be too much polish.  When I use MF pads I rotate 2 pads, changing after each section (not panel, section) - polish section, clean pad, swap pads, polish, clean, swap, repeat.  This does 2 things - ensures the pads are always 'cleaned' and keeps them cooler.  I don't remember which machine you are using, but the long-throws really heat up the MF pads (I destroyed the backing of one when I worked it for 3 sections, with just cleaning after each).    

Thanks guys. Maybe too much polish.  Will tweak it. Residue wasn’t hard to remove per se, but it did not wipe off as easy or as cleanly as the polish and foam pad combo. 

Got stuck at work working late today so no time to test this evening.  Using SK 15. I think I’m going to get the mini.  I have a GG and it doesn’t work as well as the SK Mini that I bought for my Pops. I feel guilty borrowing his, so I’ll have to get my own.   I’ll have to find another use for the GG.