Customer Service 866.965.0400

Should I add a little All Purpose Cleaner to my Grit Guard Pad Washer bucket?

Kraterer

Question

I just got a Grit Guard Pad Washer and wonder if I should add a little Eco All Purpose Cleaner to the bucket water. 

I'll certainly spray APC undiluted directly on to the pad... just wonder if it I should add a little in the bucket water as well... and if so... How much? 

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Kraterer said:

I just got a Grit Guard Pad Washer and wonder if I should add a little Eco All Purpose Cleaner to the bucket water. 

I'll certainly spray APC undiluted directly on to the pad... just wonder if it I should add a little in the bucket water as well... and if so... How much? 

Are you not using the stuff that they send with the pad washer?

2 hours ago, BHarris23 said:

Are you not using the stuff that they send with the pad washer?

What stuff is that? Are you referring to the Pad Renewing Solution on the website? I kind of thought APC would be the same (or better).  It's a hand-me-down Grit Guard Pad Washer... so I didn't get anything that might have come with it when it was new. 

2 hours ago, falcaineer said:

No idea, never seen one of these. But it's now on my wish list!

It beats the heck out of spending almost as much time rinsing pads by hand as it takes to polish the car! 

BTW... I've instructions for a DIY version of the pad washer if you're interested. The materials include a standard 5-gallon bucket, 3 sizes of PVC pipe, PVC connectors and compression springs found at any hardware store.  I'd recommend buying the splash guard from the Grit Guard replacement parts web page. Making that part looked like more trouble than it's worth.

2 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

If you do, I would make sure you get it rinsed out really well or you will have a wax stripping wash pad !

Good point... maybe I'll try it with straight water first time around.

18 hours ago, Kraterer said:

APC or some Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener should work. 

14 hours ago, Kraterer said:

Good point... maybe I'll try it with straight water first time around.

If you buy a new one, it comes with pad cleaning solution. APC should be fine, but if you don’t get it all out or dry the pad properly before polishing again, you could be working against yourself. 

Starting with water would be best. It’s cheaper and has less risk of messing with polishing liquids.