Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint correction and sealant

Abelm13

Question

I'll be doing a paint correction, It's my first time and have questions on the order

Strip wash car

Clay bar entire car

Correcting polish

Finishing polish

Wipe down residue with Coating prep

Apply Paint sealant

Brilliant Glaze

Americana Wax

My question is if wiping down the car with coating prep is necessary or do I just apply the Paint Sealant? Any other suggestions?

5 answers to this question

If you are going to spend this amount of time, do a decon with iron remover, its amazing how much metal stuff is in your paint that it removes, this I typically do before clay to make for less junk to remove. 

Also as for a wipe down, you can use the prep, but you can also use a mix of iso Alcohol. 

There is also a LONG running debate (And this thread is not for it) about putting Glaze under the paint sealant, Glaze has some filling properties and can really fill in tiny imperfections before you really seal it in, thou as others would point out it puts a layer between the paint sealant and the paint that will make the bond not as strong. I personally would glaze OVER the Americana not under it. The Glaze will add a really awesome pop on the car but wont last that long. Under the Americana it will offer some nice finish but you will not get that pop from it. 

18 hours ago, Abelm13 said:

I'll be doing a paint correction, It's my first time and have questions on the order

Strip wash car

Clay bar entire car

Correcting polish

Finishing polish

Wipe down residue with Coating prep

Apply Paint sealant

Brilliant Glaze

Americana Wax

My question is if wiping down the car with coating prep is necessary or do I just apply the Paint Sealant? Any other suggestions?

Here are the steps I would do (different for everyone though):

-Car shampoo with APC added (same effect as Strip Wash)

-Iron Decon

-Clay using soap from Car Shampoo

-Polish (do a test panel with finish polish to see if that will take out imperfections first. If it doesn’t, move down to cutting)

-50/50 Iso or Coating Prep (they do basically the same thing)

-Paint Sealant, if you’re not doing a ceramic coating

-Wax

-Optional: Glaze

Glaze to me doesn’t go under sealant or anything else. You either use it stand alone or over everything. It doesn’t have a very long lifespan and therefore, should go on top. The longest spanning product goes on bottom. (Metal-paint-clear coat-clear bra-ceramic coating-sealant-wax-glaze)

1 hour ago, BHarris23 said:

Here are the steps I would do (different for everyone though):

-Car shampoo with APC added (same effect as Strip Wash)

-Iron Decon

-Clay using soap from Car Shampoo

-Polish (do a test panel with finish polish to see if that will take out imperfections first. If it doesn’t, move down to cutting)

-50/50 Iso or Coating Prep (they do basically the same thing)

-Paint Sealant, if you’re not doing a ceramic coating

-Wax

-Optional: Glaze

Glaze to me doesn’t go under sealant or anything else. You either use it stand alone or over everything. It doesn’t have a very long lifespan and therefore, should go on top. The longest spanning product goes on bottom. (Metal-paint-clear coat-clear bra-ceramic coating-sealant-wax-glaze)

I agree with most of what you said. The changes I would make would be to skip the IPA wipedown. We have had no longevity issues when applying sealant without a wipedown provided that you buff appropriately after polishing. I suppose if you wanted to double check yourself, it’s an okay way to go. It mostly just takes up time in my opinion. 

We go sealant, glaze and wax. Sealant to bare paint. Glaze over it. And wax on top. By coating it with wax, you get slightly better durability out of it. Although it’s still a short lifespan product. 

1 hour ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

I agree with most of what you said. The changes I would make would be to skip the IPA wipedown. We have had no longevity issues when applying sealant without a wipedown provided that you buff appropriately after polishing. I suppose if you wanted to double check yourself, it’s an okay way to go. It mostly just takes up time in my opinion. 

We go sealant, glaze and wax. Sealant to bare paint. Glaze over it. And wax on top. By coating it with wax, you get slightly better durability out of it. Although it’s still a short lifespan product. 

I like to use an IPA after polishing simply to make sure there are no lingering oils. Depending on what polish and how much is used, I’ve found some oils are leftover. Again, not every polish or compound but some.