Customer Service 866.965.0400

Am I using too much?

Bscott94

Question

I'm going to cover several steps so I think I should just post in General rather than creating a bunch of posts. I detailed my 07 Malibu and my parent's possible new car, an 11 Equinox in the past week. I used a lot of different products between the two and I'm just wondering if I used too much, too little, or the right amount of each. My dad isn't positive that he's going to keep the Equinox so he didn't want me to spend a ton of time polishing it. 

Pumpkin Spice Detail Spray - I used this to clay mitt both cars and polish the Equinox. I used 7/8 of a bottle on each. This seems like a lot to me. 

Correcting Polish - I used Correcting Polish and an orange pad on the hood. It was leaving little balls of polish towards the end on my polishing. I think that means it would've been time to change pads? Should a correcting pad last longer than that? 

Finishing Polish - I used a white pad and went over the whole car with Finishing Polish. It was turning dark towards the end of the process. I'm not sure how long one pad should last before being changed. 

HGG - Between the 2 cars, I used 3/4+ of a bottle. I think that might be a lot. Since it's only used for every 3-4 washes, that makes a little better. 

Waterless wash - I touched up the Malibu last night with Waterless wash. I used about 3/4 bottle. I think I might have gone a little overboard with it but about 1/2 bottle seems reasonable, no? 

IMG_7853.jpeg

IMG_7873.jpeg

Edited by Bscott94

2 answers to this question

How much lubrication you need when using clay is variable. It depends on heat largely as warm surfaces dry it and take away its lubrication properties. It sounds like you did use quite a bit. For a more economical lube, use diluted rinseless wash. It’s far cheaper. 

For pads, that’s also a variable based on the condition of the paint. Some vehicles pads seem to last forever. On others they get chewed up rapidly. The black is contamination usually that the pad/polish is pulling off. Once it starts looking like that, it’s time to change it. 

I always suggest more towels/pads than you think you’ll need. You will use them. 

Nice work. 

10 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

How much lubrication you need when using clay is variable. It depends on heat largely as warm surfaces dry it and take away its lubrication properties. It sounds like you did use quite a bit. For a more economical lube, use diluted rinseless wash. It’s far cheaper. 

It was in the 40s for both cars so heat wasn't an issue. I thought I was going overboard a little bit. I just got rinseless so I will be diluting it for clay and waterless wash soon. 

14 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

For pads, that’s also a variable based on the condition of the paint. Some vehicles pads seem to last forever. On others they get chewed up rapidly. The black is contamination usually that the pad/polish is pulling off. Once it starts looking like that, it’s time to change it. 

I always suggest more towels/pads than you think you’ll need. You will use them. 

Nice work. 

I figured it was contamination. I tried to get it as clean as possible but it had tar up one side and that's when I noticed it getting darker and darker. I've been trying to get stocked up on towels and pads. I bought some Harbor Freight pads until I can afford more expensive ones. I do have a set of Adam's that I will always start with. Thank you for the advice and compliment. I think this is my favorite picture from the weekend. 

IMG_7841.jpeg