Customer Service 866.965.0400

hi guys - Polishing question

Mike F

If use a Swirl Killer 15mm with the Correction Polish on my older car to get out all the scuffs and marks and then want to use a Paint Sealant, following up with the Americana Wax, do I have to use the white finishing polish

This car is my everyday outside in the good and bad weather.  Im just confused on the steps with the polishes.  Can someone guide me in the right direction, I know I want to Paint Sealant the car and want to use the Americana wax as a final touch.  Unless Im totally wrong here... 

thanks 

Mike 

Your process is good. The use of finishing polish is up to you and if you’re satisfied with the results of the single step. Is it clear?  No haze?  Glossy enough?  If so, seal it and wax it. If not, refine the finish with the use of finishing polish before sealing and waxing. 

Black cars are almost always get the finishing polish step though. Cutting corners on black usually shows down the line. 

First off Welcome Mike!

With detailing (polishing, cleaning, etc.) you want to use the least aggressive method first.  Maybe your car does not need Correcting Polish, but only Finishing Polish. 

It is recommended to do a test section (24" x 24") on a panel that is representative of the rest of the car - most folks do this on the hood.  Tape out the test area and start with the least aggressive method - white pad with FP.  Work that section until the polish flashes.  Does it meet you expectations?  Yes - you are set for the rest of the car; No - reload the pad and try another section pass with FP.  If it still does not look the way you want to, then move up to the orange pads and CP.   

As Shane said if you use CP, you may need to also use FP to get the clarity you want.  

Don't skip the test section, as you don't want to spend the time polishing the whole car, then not being happy with the results and have to do it all over again....ask me how I know!

Edited by mc2hill

Ok thanks for the info, I’ll post some pictures when start this task. 

How do you lol

FYI I’m a  beginner and was always waxing by hand. 

Im super excited trying this out because it’s relaxing to me. 

Mike. 

13 hours ago, Mike F said:

do I have to use the white finishing polish?

5 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Black cars are almost always get the finishing polish step though. Cutting corners on black usually shows down the line. 

So much this. I was blown away at the difference that the finish polish made on my black Lincoln...

2 hours ago, mc2hill said:

Don't skip the test section, as you don't want to spend the time polishing the whole car, then not being happy with the results and have to do it all over again....ask me how I know!

Same way I know, Michael! 😂 Good advice.

So this is my 2010 accord, it has a few rust dots and tree sap imbedded into or just on top the paint. There’s definitely a lot of minor scratches or scuffs. Take a look at the pictures, help me walk thru this. Some area look like the paint is chipped off.  It’s not just one area, it’s the whole car. 

877DB578-C246-4FDC-ADF4-3BAF4AE15DC5.jpeg

3641DAD4-A418-4AEE-B405-B1FCACB1AB2D.jpeg

607F8975-6BA3-48D9-9854-0E52165E2468.jpeg

78D8FC10-23E2-4D31-9C62-A1BDC1F3F9B0.jpeg

4995D4E0-9B31-4B99-AE18-7DCE318AC17E.jpeg

0B5913DC-49CF-4364-8101-D56D15D24332.jpeg

D4B6CC75-B8F6-4B35-AAEE-81567924B826.jpeg

@Mike FSome of that will be removed with a clay bar (it can help with the marks under the door handle), but I do see voids in the paint.  You can still correct the car, just know you "can't polish what is not there!".  Give the test spot a try, but I would guess you will need the Correcting Polish.  The plus is with today's polishes you may be able to work the CP so that the FP is not needed.