Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Member: Need advice Chevy SS

Pugsly14

Question

So I just bought My new (to me) baby 17 Chevy SS

Its in very good condition. 18k miles. It doesn’t have many imperfections that are visible. I can feel a tiny amount of contamination on the surface. There is some of those orange iron dots.  I can’t see many (if at all, maybe) swirls. I want to protect it. Especially before a Chicago winter. I don’t mind doing a full detail both before and after the winter. I have no idea what protection is on there as I’ve only owned it 2 months. I want to start from scratch (Whoops, that was an unintentionally bad pun)

My question is; What products should I use? 

I was thinking:

Wash (Foam cannon ultra foam, then car shampoo 2 bucket method with wheel cleaning first)

Clay (with probably soap, but possibly detail spray).

Will the clay remove the orange dots?

Or use the wash and strip?

Or will the clay strip whatever protection is on there as it beads up pretty good?

Here’s where I’m not sure.

Compound  and Finishing Polish? Or just finishing polish?

What about the One Step? I have a cheap HF 6” polisher. 

Now for the sealant. I don’t mind doing a detail 2 times a year. Before winter and before summer. I was thinking Spray Coating Kit. Or Liquid Paint Sealant Kit  What’s the difference in protection? (I know ones a ceramic). Ideally I want Ceramic paint coating, but am not ready to attempt yet. 

C38D69D6-0C6D-4129-800F-6B8FCC6F3E56.jpeg

B8AC0D81-E12B-497A-9BFB-E592EEFB857B.jpeg

5 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, Pugsly14 said:

My question is; What products should I use? 

I was thinking:

Wash (Foam cannon ultra foam, then car shampoo 2 bucket method with wheel cleaning first)

Clay (with probably soap, but possibly detail spray).

Will the clay remove the orange dots?

Or use the wash and strip?

Or will the clay strip whatever protection is on there as it beads up pretty good?

Here’s where I’m not sure.

Compound  and Finishing Polish? Or just finishing polish?

What about the One Step? I have a cheap HF 6” polisher. 

Now for the sealant. I don’t mind doing a detail 2 times a year. Before winter and before summer. I was thinking Spray Coating Kit. Or Liquid Paint Sealant Kit  What’s the difference in protection? (I know ones a ceramic). Ideally I want Ceramic paint coating, but am not ready to attempt yet. 

So I would suggest using a strip wash for the initial wash as opposed to ultra foam (it has some protection built in). If you don't have strip wash, mix Car shampoo with some APC in your bucket, or some people like to use a bit of the regular dawn dish soap. The strip wash should help to break down whatever protection is on there. If it's just some wax or a weak sealant, the strip wash may completely take care of it. If it's ceramic coating, it may need some abrasive methods (polishing) to remove.

For removing the orange dots, you should use Iron Remover, or if you have Wheel Cleaner, you can use that as well. Let it dwell for like 3 minutes (don't let it dry) then rinse it off. This step works well right before the claying.

For the Polishing, that's going to be up to you, depending on how much you think the paint needs. You mentioned it doesn't look like it has many swirls. But a good rule of thumb is to always start with a test section (hood works well) with the least aggressive method to see if you're satisfied with how that works with your paint. The least aggressive polish Adams carries is the Revive Hand Polish. The second least aggressive polish would be Finishing Polish. The Heavy Correcting Compound is the heaviest and most aggressive method Adam's carries. I think it may be wise to do a finishing polish around the whole vehicle, but like I said, ultimately it will be up to you and how the test section reacts.

For protection, I absolutely recommend the Ceramic Spray Coating, but here's a good thread about protection to see what fits best for you: