Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint Correction on Tow Trucks

ChrisC1845

Question

I recently started working for a towing company who has had their business expanded into our city. My boss has given us 3 hand-me-down trucks from his 3 other locations in the state. These trucks have been very neglected in terms of washing and scratches. My boss stated that the best he can get his other guys to do is spray the trucks down at the end of their shift 😮. He has even hired professionals to polish the chrome on trucks already. He was floored when me and my other co worker expressed we like washing and taking care of our trucks and I finally talked him into letting us do paint correction and letting me buy what I want to use for it. 

So anyway these trucks have lots of neglect and I would like to fix that with a 2 stage polish. 

My question is how harmful is the strip wash to decals and things of that nature, and what is best to use right after the polish? We want our trucks to shine but offer the protection from the elements since we are out year round in Wisconsin weather. We have 1 black truck and 2 white ones.

PS: white dots on the second picture is not dust or fuzz, it is some serious neglect of the vehicle

IMG_20200404_182323_MP.jpg

IMG_20200405_220320.jpg

6 answers to this question

Strip Wash will be fine, so no worries there. 

As for what to use for protection, here's a great article to help guide you. My vote is for Paint Sealant at a minimum, or ceramic coating (Ceramic Spray Coating is easier to apply than traditional, but you'll sacrifice longevity; they have the same durability). You'll get months for Sealant to years for a traditional coating of protection out of them. Please note neither is bulletproof, and both require routine maintenance. Thankfully, Adam's offers several options for both to do so. After all, Adam started early in his career detailing fleet vehicles on a large scale so he had to figure out how to do so quickly and efficiently...so you're in good company!

Be sure to post some pics when you're done...we love before/afters!

I  too vote for CSC, you will get better protection and you will save time applying & removing.

One step you may want to consider is doing a Surface Prep wipe down after polish, that will help the longevity of your CSC.

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/ceramic-spray-coating

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/ceramic-surface-prep

5 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Strip Wash will be fine, so no worries there. 

As for what to use for protection, here's a great article to help guide you. My vote is for Paint Sealant at a minimum, or ceramic coating (Ceramic Spray Coating is easier to apply than traditional, but you'll sacrifice longevity; they have the same durability). You'll get months for Sealant to years for a traditional coating of protection out of them. Please note neither is bulletproof, and both require routine maintenance. Thankfully, Adam's offers several options for both to do so. After all, Adam started early in his career detailing fleet vehicles on a large scale so he had to figure out how to do so quickly and efficiently...so you're in good company!

Be sure to post some pics when you're done...we love before/afters!

So shall I use more of the aesthetic like a glaze or wax for shine first and then apply a coating or is that more of a waste of time?

24 minutes ago, ChrisC1845 said:

So shall I use more of the aesthetic like a glaze or wax for shine first and then apply a coating or is that more of a waste of time?

Waste of time & products. You want to apply the Coating to clean bare paint so it will adhere better for best longevity.

11 minutes ago, Chris@Adams said:

Waste of time & products. You want to apply the Coating to clean bare paint so it will adhere better for best longevity.

Okay, thank you both for your advice! I really appreciate it!