Customer Service 866.965.0400

Fix a ceramic coating faux pa

4sfed

Question

I have a question regarding fixing a ceramic coating mistake.

I ceramic coated my car two years ago, this October.  While I'm VERY pleased with how it turned out, I apparently had an interruption while coating my left rear door and I ended up leaving the coating on the part of the door (without wiping it off after flashing).  After a year and a half, I can still see the difference, when the sun hit it and it turns my stomach.

My question.....how do I fix that?  I can post a pic of what it looks like, if it'd help.

Thanks in advance,

S

10 answers to this question

Those are called high spots, and are very common for even the most seasoned detailer. A light polish should remove it. Try a few drops of Polish on a Borderless Grey towel and lightly rub the area. If that doesn't work, try something a little more aggressive, and so on. Feel free to reapply the coating in the area to ensure coverage. Then enjoy!

Actually, the more I think about it, depending on how the coating has been maintained and overall paint condition, you may be at a point where you need to coat it again. Just a thought. 

And in the future, if you catch the high spots within a couple hours or so, Brilliant Glaze works like a champ!

Excellent!  I'll give it a shot.  Thanks!

And yeah, that's kind of what I was hoping for as time passed, over the last 1.5 years, but...in the sun, I can still see the area clear as day.  So I want to fix it.

Thanks again.

Well I guess that's where I need help as well.  What does "moving up" consist of. I don't know which compound is considered more aggresive, or which pad is more (or less aggresive).  Is there a link or some info you could share on that front?

Oh, sorry. Next step from using the towel and Polish would be a machine with either Polish and white pad or Compound and blue foam/microfiber, in that order. But I doubt you'll have to go all the way to Compound to fix them. Try the method(s) above first, then we'll go from there...

11 minutes ago, 4sfed said:

BRILLIANT!  That did it!  Thank you so much.  Now I don't have to look in disgust, at the screw up on the left rear door.  It's beautiful!

Great! Since I outlined a few options, what was the process that worked?

Ha!  sorry....I just got out my basic polish and polisher and started with that.  And that was all that was necessary.  I guess I though with a 9H hardness, fixing it would be more difficult.

48 minutes ago, 4sfed said:

Ha!  sorry....I just got out my basic polish and polisher and started with that.  And that was all that was necessary.  I guess I though with a 9H hardness, fixing it would be more difficult.

👍🏼

You removed the high spots. Removing the coating that has bonded would take more effort.