Customer Service 866.965.0400

Graphene Ceramic Coating Streaking

ericgavinroberts

Question

I recently applied the Adams graphene ceramic coating to my wife’s black BMW X5. Ceramic coating went on easy, came off fairly easy with a microfiber polish cloth, and I did not see any visible streaking or buildup after removal. Looked mirror finish in the garage. Yesterday, a couple days later, in the sun I noticed lots of streaking and hash marks all over the areas that I applied the coating. I obviously didn’t remove it properly. I’m not new to ceramic coating, but this is the first time I’ve used the graphene. Did I just leave it on too long before removal? I left it 30-45 sec and saw the rainbow or visual flashing referenced in the application videos.

North East Texas, maybe 80-85 degrees outside, very high humidity (85-90%, maybe more as it had recently rained), applied in garage with zero direct sunlight. 

4 answers to this question

Agreed, it was likely left on too long, and can happen/be seen more often where the application lines overlap. Streaks can also be seen more easily on black. Try some Brilliant Glaze on those areas - yes, even now - and let us know. You may need to end up polishing those areas, but best to start less aggressive.

Best to go by feel, not time. When a plush towel very lightly dragged across the surface feels slick, it's too soon. When it's tacky and grabs the towel, that's when it's time. It will probably be a fine line and change quickly, so check often. Remove in the same order as applied.

To clarify, lower temp and humidity generally means you can leave it on longer.