Customer Service 866.965.0400

Where do i start?

Guest Uncle Jesse

Question

Guest Uncle Jesse

Ok, i have a 2002 F150. I was it once a week as weather permits with Turtle wax wash and a mit. i can detail the tires decent. It was clay-barred by me about a year ago. The truck sits outside all day, no garage. I know the paint is a little in need of tlc... any good ideas where to start?:(

12 answers to this question

Ok, i have a 2002 F150. I was it once a week as weather permits with Turtle wax wash and a mit. i can detail the tires decent. It was clay-barred by me about a year ago. The truck sits outside all day, no garage. I know the paint is a little in need of tlc... any good ideas where to start?:(

With some pictures :banana:

Welcome to Adam's!!!!

Well, if you havent viewed the Adams videos, I would start there. Its a great collection of how-to's and there are plenty of good tips also.

When I first started using Adams products, I did the following to my (garage-kept) vehicles:

0. watched the Adams videos

1. wash with dawn dish soap to remove nasty products, etc

2. clay-bar using tons of Adams DS as lube

3. (not sure if you have a Porter Cable, but I went through a long correction process with the PC and Adams pads/products)

4. finished-off with Brilliant Spray glaze, VRT and glass cleaner. oh, if you have BSG, be sure to try it on the exterior glass, its unbeleivable!

Guest Uncle Jesse

Cyclone, i see you truck over on F150ONLINE and a few others. You truck is sweet.

Here is the only pic i have right now of the truck...

DSCN8098.jpg[/img]

Cyclone, i see you truck over on F150ONLINE and a few others. You truck is sweet.

Here is the only pic i have right now of the truck...

DSCN8098.jpg[/img]

Another DSG :banana::banana::banana: And I am already jealous, looks like you have the lariat package :D

I like the HD grill... Looks clean :thumbsup:

I will tell you one thing right now... On our color truck, it seems nearly impossible to actually see swirl marks and such.... It is good and bad. Just make sure that on your virgin run, pay close attention to everything. Once you get all your issues corrected, maintaining it is a walk in the park.

And make sure to try the Brilliant Spray Glaze, it really makes the metal flake POP off of the truck :drool:

OUCH! What happened to the hood?

Welcome!

I have a '98 F150 4x4 but I don't belong to any f-150 forums. Not sure why actually... I ordered it from the factory back in '97 as a '98 model and never got into the forums when I got it.

Lot's to learn there?

Chris

Guest Uncle Jesse

Thanks. Yes, it's a Lariat.. i added the H.D. grille and Lightning headlights and corners. The hood was a result of a bad accident of me vs. ped. in the rain at night.. not my fault, but we deal with the hands we are dealt.

I will hopefully soon replace the hood with a split cowl hood, and the bumper replaced with a painted/powder-coated version..

I know it needs a little tlc.. can't wait to get started!

Yes, lot's of good info on the F150 site regarding our trucks.

Thanks. Yes, it's a Lariat.. i added the H.D. grille and Lightning headlights and corners. The hood was a result of a bad accident of me vs. ped. in the rain at night.. not my fault, but we deal with the hands we are dealt.

I will hopefully soon replace the hood with a split cowl hood, and the bumper replaced with a painted/powder-coated version..

I know it needs a little tlc.. can't wait to get started!

Yes, lot's of good info on the F150 site regarding our trucks.

I like how you think :D

Check out the Reflexxion Cowl Steel Hoods... If your not worried bout weight then they are awesome. They just weigh about twice as much as the stock aluminum hood. But the look great, that is what I am running.

You should be able to powdercoat your bumper to a color close to DSG for about $75... That is what I was quoted to do mine, I just have not gotten around to it yet.

Absolutely start with the videos... http://www.adamspolishes.com/s-227-videos.aspx

After you've watched all of the videos, then figure out which route you want to go........hand or machine. Then make a list of which products are priority, place and order, and when your order comes, follow what Adam does in the vids and you'll have all the results you're after. Those videos are a treasure trove of information from the master himself, and they'll really get you going in the right direction.

Keep us posted on your progress. And welcome to the forum.

:welcomebanner:

Guest Uncle Jesse

Cyclone,

Thanks! The hood i have been looking at is steel, with the small indentation in the middle. Your hood is also on my list... Not too worried about the extra weight, i mean it's only 40 lbs difference between factory and steel, and i am not drag racing. BTW, i grew up in Tampa my whole life, i just moved to Tennesee 4 months ago. I actually lived in Seffner, and drove past Auburndale exit on I-4 on my way to see the mouse quite often!

I think for now, i'll be doing all the detailing by hand. I live in an apartment, and it's not convient for power buffers. Just have to use the old muscles to get what shine i can out of it.