Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to clean a vinyl top?

BrandonL

Question

Hey guys, I have a question about cleaning the top on my wife's Miata. I just got an essentials detail kit that has all of the goodies in it. My wife's Miata was in pretty rough shape detail wise until yesterday when I busted everything out and gave it a good once over. The car came out great, I am very happy with everything in the kit but I am having an issue cleaning the top.

The top started out so dirty/faded that it was almost brown. I cleaned it with the regular car wash and once it was dry I applied the VRT. So far I have used about 1/5 of the bottle over the course of the last 28 hours and I'm still getting some brown spots. Now don't get me wrong, I love this stuff because it's still by far the best results that I have gotten from anything so far but do you guys know of a better way to bring the color back? Should I use something else with this or just keep adding to it until it's fully black? Thanks guys :cheers:

6 answers to this question

Hi Brandon

This could be similar to an issue someone was having with their interior a few days ago. It could be a reaction to products used earlier. Try diluting some APC about 50/50 and spray it down lightly and give it a good scrub with a sponge. Don't leave it on there too long, a few minutes. Then wash again. After that try reapplying VRT or Leather conditioner (higher SPF), but don't put it on too heavy. Just a light coating, let that sit for a few minutes and buff it up a little kind of like shining a shoe. Hope that helps :thumbsup:

And lets see some pictures :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Bill

:iagree: Good call , Bill.

I did a gray convertible last weekend and had a few light spots show up that I believe were the same issue. I went over it again and the Leather Conditioner seems to have taken.

Ok, I'll have to try that when I get home tonight. I didn't really think about that because the brown spots are about the same color as the top was before I cleaned it but that might be the issue. Thanks for the tip :)

And I don't have any before pics but I'll snap some after and post them up. I'm going to be detailing my WRX wagon this afternoon and I'll take some before and after pics of that

Hi Brandon, have you tried the APC yet? That may well be the ticket! Scrub with a mild scrub brush, and then rinse off the soap. If the spots are still there, we may need to go to the next plan, a vinyl dye.

Keep us posted! :burnout: