Customer Service 866.965.0400

Alternate surface prep

rrmccabe

Question

Getting ready to do a graphene spray coating (advanced) and not planning on using surface prep. Partly because I don't have any and partly because I feel better about dousing the panel with 25% IPA and wiping clean a couple times with different towels after polishing.

Is there any advantage to diluting some APC or Eco and starting with that and then finishing with a couple passes of IPA?

I saw a detailer on YouTube that actually mixed some APC with the IPA.  Not sure how I feel about that.

Edited by rrmccabe

3 answers to this question

Curious what your apprehension is about the surface prep? It’s one of my favorite products.  Does exactly what it’s supposed to do, and probably kinder to your surface than alcohol.  

your current surface prepping is…interesting. Sprayed with APC to remove anything, then washed with a shampoo that adds protection, then alcohol. 

I cant say I have used the new "surface prep". Just the stuff sent with a coating kit a couple years ago. Maybe its the same. In my case after a paint correction it needed a serious wash to get stray compound removed from the nooks and crannies and all the trim scrubbed with tire and rubber cleaner.  I just dont think surface prep in that quantity would not have got it done.  I dont know if the graphene shampoo was a good choice or not but I figured since it has de-greaser it couldnt hurt. But I wanted some lubricity in the wash bucket so that is why shampoo.

Then I followed up with multiple IPA wipe downs. 

So really, I just wanted a really good cleaning everywhere before the spray coating.

Edited by rrmccabe