Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic n00b - Help w/ Wheel Coating

WMUCarGuy

Question

Hi All,

I've never dealved into the world of ceramic, but a buddy of mine let me borrow his Ceramic Wheel Kit.

I have 3 existing wheels for my 2017 Focus ST, which have been in storage all winter and one brand new one, all of which will go back on the car this spring with a new set of Michelins, but I thought, while they're off the car, I should ceramic coat them, and that's where I am, now.

The three existing wheels were washed, clayed and coated with buttery wax in early December and have been stacked up in my dry garage all winter. Outside of a bit of dust, they're still extremely clean.

So my big question is - will using the included "Coating Prep" be sufficient to prep these three wheels for the wheel coating? It's too cold here to wash them with a hose, so wondering if just wiping them down really well with the coating prep would be sufficient since they were cleaned REALLY well prior to being put in storage and have not been used since.

Also, is the "Coating Prep" included in this kit different from the "Surface Prep" currently listed on Adam's website?

Thanks all! 

PXL_20240306_192416925.jpg.bf9d805be97d898f8ce770bfd49c7f18.jpg

PXL_20231207_202349631.jpg.dfbde998ce1a0dbabe30c44310baf7ec.jpg

1 answer to this question

If I were you, I'd still polish and then use the prep, just to ensure all wax is fully removed. Also, be sure to mount and balance the tires first, if needed, otherwise if the wheels are coated the weights won't stick.

Coating prep was updated to Surface Prep and the formula was changed slightly, but it'll still work.

By the way, Waterless Wash will be more than sufficient to clean them, you don't need to use a hose and bucket. Hopefully you have some but if not, order it!