Customer Service 866.965.0400

Making the most of my time

Devin04

Question

I'm still new to the PC. I got in some practice working on a few other cars touching up panels and removing some scratches, things like that. Now I feel it's time to try it on my car and do the whole car. I don't have a garage but I think a friend is letting me use his for a day or two in exchange for the use of my Adam's products. I'm a slowpoke when it comes to detailing; I have to make everything perfect. My question is how long should I expect it to take me to SH, FMP, and wax the whole car? It's not in bad condition it just needs to be brought back to flawless. I'm going to do most or all of the prep work before I get there. Also are there any tips or tricks to manage my time and work as efficiently as possible?

Thanks for any help. :2thumbs:

9 answers to this question

Two stage polish with a PC over a whole car - I'd budget between 6 to 8 hours. You don't want to rush over it too quickly because not breaking down the polish all the way will result in a hazy finish. If it's not in bad condition like you say, you can more than likely go with the SHR on the white pad to save yourself that second step.

I am probably one of the most anal individuals in the world so my details always take awhile because I won't half a** anything, but depending on the project you're working on I would say you'll be pushing 10 hours. The good thing is you said your prep work was done already! I just detailed a Mercedes S550 (big sedan) recently and invested over 16 hours in it, the clear coat was a bear!

I can usually wash, clay, SH, FMC and put a coat of way on my car in about 6 hours. Of course, it's all "maintenance" level work at this point; I don't have to spend too much time on any real problem areas. I also break it up a little with a stop for lunch and all. My advice is just don't rush it and enjoy the process. :cheers:

One other tip: if your buddy's garage doens't have good lighting, pic up a few inexpensive halogens at Home Depot or Harbor Freight -- they'll illuminate a whole new world of swirls and imperfections to work on (and make your overall job much more successful)

Rich

Thanks everyone great tips. I too am very anal about cleaning my car thats why I'm here :D. Depending on the weather I plan on washing and claying it the day before I go to his place. I did ask him about lighting he said he should be set.