Customer Service 866.965.0400

still swirl marks...

sshhbequiet

Question

whats up guys. alot of you have seen my other thread where i finally got my stuff and started on the truck. and actually, after seeing it in the bright sun today, the hood still has a crap load of swirl marks. i think i may have been too aggressive?? i had the speed setting on 6 the whole time, even after the oxidation came off. and i was using too much SHR too (dust balls flying everywhere). im probably gonna get the hood repainted anyway just cause there are hundreds of rock chips all over it. i did the quarter panel today too, and that actually looks really good. not 100% swirl free though. probably 90-95% i used SHR on #6 for a little while, then the 2 pass i did #4. then i used the polish on the white pad on #4 and made i pass there. what should i do, go back to SHR? or maybe the polish on #5 or 6??

10 answers to this question

If you were happy with the results, you never would have posted - so I say go back and give it another try!

Start with SHR - Spread at speed 3 using machine weight; Then, ramp it up to speed 6 with 15 - 20 lbs. of pressure - work the polish until it's on the border between milky and clear; lightly mist the area with Detail Spray or distilled water (just a tiny bit) and from there, drop the speed down to 4.5 using a little more than machine weight (about 5 - 10lbs) until the polish flashes clear.

Fully wipe down the panel of all polish residue and check for swirl marks. Repeat if there are still swirls remaining. Once the heavier swirls are gone, move on to FMP:

Spread at speed 3 using machine weight; move up to speed 5 using 10 -15 lbs. of pressure until the polish flashes clear. Once again, fully wipe down the panel of all polish residue. At that point, the only thing you should be seeing is your reflection. :thumbsup:

It may take you a while - 100% correction requires 1,000% patience!

one more question...i know at first i was using too much SHR, dust balls flying everywehre! when i did the side panel yesterday i think i got it right, i had no dust. but how do i know when to stop, will it be almost dry to the touch? and you cant really see the product on the car much anymore? i dont wanna be on #6 on the car, with no product cutting....im sure that wouldnt be good...

one more question...i know at first i was using too much SHR, dust balls flying everywehre! when i did the side panel yesterday i think i got it right, i had no dust. but how do i know when to stop, will it be almost dry to the touch? and you cant really see the product on the car much anymore? i dont wanna be on #6 on the car, with no product cutting....im sure that wouldnt be good...

The finish should look kinda greasy - that's when you know it's broken down fully. It shouldn't appear milky in color. If it does - you still have work to do!