Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ok ... I give up

MMMMRice

Question

What did I do wrong. I detailed the gf's cobalt last night and Im not happy with the results at all. I applied the shr by hand after the wash/dry/clay. I used the pc for the fmc putting on 3 pea size drops for the first section and 2 for every one after that. I spread it with the pc off then put it on 3000opms to spread it out and kicked it up to 4500 like the bottle said to break down the polish. It spread the polish alright, every section I did sprayed polish everywhere. Even worse it didnt remove any scratches or water spots. Im sure someone else has gone through this, so can somebody help a brotha out lol. I didnt even apply the smw because I was so frustrated. Oh and by the way, never detail a car with your gf, I found out that mine has nowhere near enough patience.

19 answers to this question

What did I do wrong. I detailed the gf's cobalt last night and Im not happy with the results at all. I applied the shr by hand after the wash/dry/clay. I used the pc for the fmc putting on 3 pea size drops for the first section and 2 for every one after that. I spread it with the pc off then put it on 3000opms to spread it out and kicked it up to 4500 like the bottle said to break down the polish. It spread the polish alright, every section I did sprayed polish everywhere. Even worse it didnt remove any scratches or water spots. Im sure someone else has gone through this, so can somebody help a brotha out lol. I didnt even apply the smw because I was so frustrated. Oh and by the way, never detail a car with your gf, I found out that mine has nowhere near enough patience.

First of all you do not apply the shr by hand when you have a pc. You apply it with the orang pad wich is the swirl pad which will remove the scratches. All the Fine machine police does is take out like scratches nothing to major. I dont know about the poish going everwhere so i guess you had way to much or you were not applying enough pressure on the Pc.

The SHR should be applied with the pc with the orange pad, that's what gets out all the swirls and scratches, you did the right thing by applying the FMP on the car but did you mist the pad with detail spray? That's probably what's causing the product to dry out and strat flying around.

Tom, I feel your pain. My first 3 or 4 times using the PC were VERY frustrating. Here are a couple things I have learned:

1. even when using less product than I thought I should, I was still using too much...its amazing how little you need. too much product can create a surface on the pad that isnt optimal for cutting. the pads are different textures for a reason and if you saturate the face of the pad with too much stuff, you lose something.

2. for serious scratches, you need more pressure than you might think. use the trick to pressing down on a bathroom scale to measure how much you are using. I think something like 20-30lbs is about right for rough stuff (there are threads on here that have the exact #s). After a while, you will get a feel for the pressure a specific job requires.

3. expectations are often too high. we all want perfect finishes, but its more realistic to shoot for 80-90% perfect on a non show car.

4. use different pads for different panels of the car (or wash the pads in between uses). this is due to the same logic in #1.

5. most important: lean on Adam and the guys here for help. Im sure Adam would like to speak to you personally about you specific needs...these guys are the bomb when it comes to customer service - use them!

there you go man right from the baron himself if you can let him come and help you its easier to see someone doing it and then letting you do it and he can correct/lead you to what you are looking for. you will never get it perfect but its worth a shot to get it as right as possible

If you want to take a crack at it again next weekend, I'll drive down and help you out :)

I called you today around 11-1130 ish and you didnt answer lol. Youll definatly need to come down here, jersey roads are too much for me.

Thanks for the tips guys, I have one more question. Since I already applied the shr and fmp what do I need to do when restarting to get scratches out?

I called you today around 11-1130 ish and you didnt answer lol. Youll definatly need to come down here, jersey roads are too much for me.

Thanks for the tips guys, I have one more question. Since I already applied the shr and fmp what do I need to do when restarting to get scratches out?

from what i have been told, you can just go back to the SHR. i hope i didnt tell you wrong, but i really dont know why you used your hand instead of the PC anyway.....:willy:

I'm in the process of trying to find my cell phone...lol. I've narrowed it down to somewhere on planet Earth :lolsmack:

i would wash it first to make sure you get any dirt that has settled on the car off. Then you can go over it with SHR with the pc and FMP.:thumbsup:

Hey Tom, some words to live by as a first time Adam's user that you are.

First, take a look at the videos Adam and I have posted. They are located here and here. You are working blind right now and are setup for failure without the information that these videos supply.

Secondly, NEVER do the entire car until you have successfully honed your process and technique on one section of the car. Nothing will discourage a user of a new product faster than someone who sees that all of their work has turned out like crap. That's why you pick a section of the hood or other easy to access location and try your technique there. Once you get that little part of the car as perfect as it can be, then you complete that section of the car and begin to move on to the rest of the car. As you have realized, you wasted a lot of time for nothing.

If you are getting a lot of product splatter, there are usually two reason. You are using too much product or you are working in direct sunlight. Try using less product and if possible, work under shade or in a garage. To cut down on product splatter, spray your pad with couple of squirts of detail spray and use less product.

Hopefully, you will take the time to watch the videos and gleen as much info as possible before you try this again. :thumbsup:

Edited by Junkman2008