Customer Service 866.965.0400

How Much for a Detail?

Devin04

Question

The word has been spreading that I love to detail my car and wouldn't mind helping others out with theirs. I've had a few people come and tell me they will pay me but I don't know what to ask for. They know I'm not going to try to rip them off and they want me to charge enough so that it's worth my time. My upcoming detail is on a white 08 VW GTI. She has never washed it I'm pretty sure but it seems to be in good condition. My plan is a wash with Dawn to remove any buildup of wax and junk followed by claying and finally some Americana and dressings. I'm guessing it will take me about 5 hrs. Any tips on what I should charge or how to charge? By job, materials used, or time? I wouldn't mind this as a job on the weekends for some extra cash.

• Answers 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

What the heck. I swear I didn't post this again. Where is the old post? I cant even find it under "My Posts" section now.

It looks like any posts I made a couple of days ago didn't happen. Anyone's for that matter because other people posted on this topic. With a lot of helpful information that I may never get back. I sent Ashley an email. I don't know what's going on. :help::help::help:

Edited by Devin04

What the heck. I swear I didn't post this again. Where is the old post? I cant even find it under "My Posts" section now.

It looks like any posts I made a couple of days ago didn't happen. Anyone's for that matter because other people posted on this topic. With a lot of helpful information that I may never get back. I sent Ashley an email. I don't know what's going on. :help::help::help:

Ashley won't be able to help you with that, have you read the thread about the server crashing yesterday ?

So........I didn't work yesterday :lolsmack:

:lolsmack::lolsmack:

Where I am??? What day is it?? Is it almost Friday? :willy:

Back to the subject...

I guess depending on how extensive the detail job you are preforming would make the difference in what you would charge.

Do you have a plan??

Check this out:

I've watched that video a lot. Don't think I'll be charging what he does for a detail though lol. I do my detail on Sunday if the weather is going to cooperate. I'm still working on a price for a thorough wash, clay, Americana Wax, and dressings. Like I said before I plan on spending 4-5 hrs making it as perfect as I can.

Edited by Devin04

I've watched that video a lot. Don't think I'll be charging what he does for a detail though. lol I do my detail on Sunday if the weather is going to cooperate. I'm still working on a price for a thorough wash, clay, American Wax, and dressings. Like I said before I plan on spending 4-5 hrs making it as perfect as I can.

Since you're a detailing rookie, start out around the $25/hr. mark - that's a nice, competitive pricing point for you and your customer.

Remember, you're spending 4 -5 hours on this, but, from the customer standpoint...you just spent 5 hours washing their car :confused: Make sure you convey to them exactly what you're going to do and how so they understand where their money is being spent and how much effort went into your work. Also do this so the customer knows how knowledgeable you are...which makes them more comfortable...and comfortable customers will spend more money and tell their friends. :)

And since you're only doing the outside - get them booked for an interior detail next! Keep them coming back for more!

Thanks for the tips Frank. I was going to say around $75 just because it is my first real detail on someone else's car and it's a friend from work. I didn't know even a rookie detailer can make $25. What can a midlevel to pro make? And is hourly the best way to charge in general or would you do something else? Sorry for somany questions.

Thanks for the tips Frank. I was going to say around $75 just because it is my first real detail on someone else's car and it's a friend from work. I didn't know even a rookie detailer can make $25. What can a midlevel to pro make? And is hourly the best way to charge in general or would you do something else? Sorry for somany questions.

A rookie detailer can totally make $25! What a pro makes can depend on the area they're in, if they're mobile or they have a shop, etc. For example, my rates start at $35 because I'm good at what I do, have a lease to pay on a garage, and I'm setup in an area where people have more money than brains. A mobile detailer can go a little lower than that because there isn't as much overhead involved. Hourly is usually the best way to charge because you're guaranteed never to rip yourself off - I normally save flat rates for small, easy add-on services like headlight restoration and quick washes. The only other time I flat rate anything is with service contracts - $1700 a year up front for a monthly detail and weekly washes.

I've watched that video a lot. Don't think I'll be charging what he does for a detail though lol. I do my detail on Sunday if the weather is going to cooperate. I'm still working on a price for a thorough wash, clay, Americana Wax, and dressings. Like I said before I plan on spending 4-5 hrs making it as perfect as I can.

I posted the video because of the prices he charges and the cost of the wax:jawdrop:

The Junkman makes that guy look like an amateur

Edited by livingwater

I've been wondering the same thing. I have been charging 75-100 depending on the vehicle size. Although i don't do any paint correction because i don't have a porter cable yet. I do the wash, clay, polish, and put 2 coats of Americana and also dress the interior. I don't know if i should charge more like today i did my buddys 09 Tahoe took me about 7 hours and charged him 100.

Edited by Mike

Paul Dalton is not your average wash and shine guy, there is a reason why he gets paid what he gets paid :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Rich people with fine cars like to pay for fine service and Paul gives it to them. If you go to his website not all of his services cost 10,000 either. Some of his services are just 'high priced' but with the cost of all the products he uses he has to charge a lot :cheers:

*I'm not saying I would use him :)