Customer Service 866.965.0400

How Much for a Detail?

Devin04

Question

The word has been spreading that I love to detail my car and wouldn't mind helping others out with theirs. I've had a few people come and tell me they will pay me but I don't know what to ask for. They know I'm not going to try to rip them off and they want me to charge enough so that it's worth my time. My upcoming detail is on a white 08 VW GTI. She has never washed it I'm pretty sure but it seems to be in good condition. My plan is a wash with Dawn to remove any buildup of wax and junk followed by claying and finally some Americana and dressings. I'm guessing it will take me about 5 hrs. Any tips on what I should charge or how to charge? By job, materials used, or time? I wouldn't mind this as a job on the weekends for some extra cash.

• Answers 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

lol I look at a lot of cars now and notice if they are in good shape or not. I can't help it.

I do the same thing. Ill find myself sitting as stoplights wondering if they would want their car detailed, or how cool before/after pics would look with certian cars.

I do the same thing. Ill find myself sitting as stoplights wondering if they would want their car detailed, or how cool before/after pics would look with certian cars.

i do the same exact thing, actually today i was looking at a truck on the highway and was telling my buddys how bad of a job the person did washing it. they were just like "who cares? your retarted" :lolsmack:

i do the same exact thing, actually today i was looking at a truck on the highway and was telling my buddys how bad of a job the person did washing it. they were just like "who cares? your retarted" :lolsmack:

People think im just plain nuts when i do it.

There is definatly plenty of money in detailing if people are willing to pay the money. I was going to do what frank said and go to dealerships but I started that fleet of volvos. Any idea on what I should charge for a volvo sleepercab? To be honest I bet each coat takes me an entire day.

There is definatly plenty of money in detailing if people are willing to pay the money. I was going to do what frank said and go to dealerships but I started that fleet of volvos. Any idea on what I should charge for a volvo sleepercab? To be honest I bet each coat takes me an entire day.

charge per hour, it will benefit you more because its a big truck. and also, different waxes or polishes will take longer or quicker than others.

Make sure and report back what the paint was like and how hard it was to correct (or no correction?). Oh and make sure to take pics!

the paint is in pretty good shape. minor swirls and some clearcoat scratches along the bed rails, nothing too bad. I dont have a PC, so this will be a full "by-hand" detail!