Customer Service 866.965.0400

Interior Odor

Redfireshaker06

Question

What is the best way to clean an interior so it smells nice, and not just 1 smell covered by another. My carpet was changed a couple months ago so that can't be it. Any other ideas? my car only has 29k on it and you wouldn't think it would be that bad. in the past, the car leaked. A known problem on the 05+. So basically, is there anything out there or hints I can use to get the car smell better?

Edited by Redfireshaker06

Learn something new here every day. I've never heard about this. I have friends that smoked or bought cars from people that did smoke and asked me how they could get rid of the smell. Will this help with that?

The best way to try and get rid of it would need to be a more active approach - scrub and extract all the carpet an upholstery and replace the headliner. Also clean the HVAC system and deep clean the plastic/vinyl bits of the interior. Anything less and that smell will always be there.

Edited by Baron_Von_Awesome

Mice can make a mess inside of a vehicle.

Also, if you constantly shutoff the vehicle with the air conditioner running it could cause mold to start growing.

I usually shutoff the air conditioner and let the fan run for a few minutes before I arrive at my destination.

I've never turned my car off or started it with the AC on. I usually don't even use the AC unless it's really hot, and someone else is riding with me.

My wife's Volvo has a Hepa filter which needed changing. She was getting a smell in the car also.

Since you said you don't run the AC much it probably isn't this but for others:

Do NOT run your AC in interior recycle mode all the time. It will cause the inside of your vents to mold and you will get a horrid smell when you turn the AC/vent on. I had this problem with my 06 and a visit to the dealer fixed it.

Also, when you use the ozone generators you do it with the car running, and your ac system on and in interior recycle mode. This will circulate the ozone throughout the Ac/vent system to help kill bacteria inside it as well.

Never heard of the charcoal before, just make sure you put a plastic bag around the outside of it. All the charcoal bags I have always leak dust everywhere, that would suck!

Edited by mcss383

I ALWAYS run the AC. Its 95 hear in Florida. 80 when we wake up and go to work at 5:30 in the AM. I think thats my problem. And I never shut it off before I stop. Never knew I had to. But the car is going to have the AC cleaned under warranty. Since I was told it can be. Next Friday its going in. So I will do a follow up then when I get home on the 4th.

I appreciate all the input thus far. :cheers: