Customer Service 866.965.0400

Interior Odor

Redfireshaker06

Question

What is the best way to clean an interior so it smells nice, and not just 1 smell covered by another. My carpet was changed a couple months ago so that can't be it. Any other ideas? my car only has 29k on it and you wouldn't think it would be that bad. in the past, the car leaked. A known problem on the 05+. So basically, is there anything out there or hints I can use to get the car smell better?

Edited by Redfireshaker06

First things first. Let's troubleshoot and see WHERE it is coming from first before we throw out all kinds of advice.

1. Where is the smell coming from? Does it happen most with the vent on? AC? Did you sniff test the seats? Trunk?

2. Why was the carpet replaced? Waterdamage from a leak, or heater core?

3. Did you pull out the rear seat? (It's easy and takes 2 minutes)

Let's start there.

The best/correct way to rid yourself of any stubborn odor is to find a detailer who will let you rent an Ozone Generator... bottom line, end of story, absolutely the only way to effectively 100% eliminate unwanted odors short of tearing the car apart down to the frame and hand scrubbing everything. Most guys will charge you a couple hundred bucks so its not cheap, but it is effective.

You can try a few home remedies to get rid of most of the odor.

Start by pulling your hvac vents and cleaning down into the ducting, a lot of odors will settle in there so no amount of work you do on carpets/seats/headliner are going to do much until you get the vents cleaned out.

A box of baking soda in the car with windows up for about a day will reduce smells. Also effective to use PLAIN charcoal briquettes. Go buy a bag of kingsford PLAIN... no hickory or smoked meat... unless you want your car to smell like a bbq... open the top and place it in the back seat. Leave the windows up for a day and the charcoal will absorb a lot of the moisture and smells from the interior.

but still ozone generators are the best way to go... I say do some calling around your local area to find a detailer who will use one to clean your interior. I'd say buy one of your own, but they tend to be a tad on the pricey side:

Air-Zone®

XT-14000

Price $1899.99

12000persp3.jpg

Edited by Dylan06SS

Also effective to use PLAIN charcoal briquettes. Go buy a bag of kingsford PLAIN... no hickory or smoked meat... unless you want your car to smell like a bbq... open the top and place it in the back seat. Leave the windows up for a day and the charcoal will absorb a lot of the moisture and smells from the interior.

Thats a great tip, ive never heard of that before.:rockon:

:iagree:

If you want to get rid of an odor, you MUST find the source before doing anything else.

That's what I said:D

While the ozone generator is awesome for interior smells, if it is coming from the trunk, or from the ducting, it won't help as much..... inless you put it IN the trunk:thumbsup:. Find the source first.

Also, the OP stated that it "smells like a gym locker" which tells me that it is most likely Body odor, or sweat. Sweat is bacteria and fungi. Febreeze won't fix the problem, just mask it. Lysol, on the other hand, when sprayed into the cowl with the AC on full blast, will remove most smells from the ducting......... providing it's not a dead rodent or nest in the "hamster cage" (blower fan for the HVAC)

Edited by Krzdimond

If you want to get rid of an odor, you MUST find the source before doing anything else.

I agree with Frank....did you buy this car new? What do you know about this car?

Any background on it?

Sorry guys, I'm back. lol

The car was bought brand new by me. It doesn't smell like the leak is back. That smell was worse, smelled like an illegal substance thats green. Even had a cop who pulled me over for tint smelled it and asked me if I have been smoking marijuana in this car. lol.

But, the carpet has been replaced twice since then. First was the leak. 2nd was a tear (still under warranty)

My opinion is something in the ducting. Because the AC does not smell so well at certain times.

I was just using the dirty gym smell as an example. Its not really that bad. But its annoying.

It only leaked on the carpet in the front foot well passenger side. Could the smell have got absorbed by the padding in the seats?

I have not had a chance to check into anything further this weekend.

If you shutting the car down with the AC still on, that might be your problem. If I don't turn the AC off (leave the blower on) I get a damp smell when I get back in and start up. By leaving the blower on and the AC off you are drying out the evap. and getting all of of the mosture out.