Customer Service 866.965.0400

How often to wax?

Bill-V8V

Question

Out of curiosity, why would you never wash it??

It will be washed when polishing and claying in the spring but beyond that it isn't washed on a regular basis as it is wiped down with detail spray or ONR if a little dustier than normal after a long ride.

It will be washed when polishing and claying in the spring but beyond that it isn't washed on a regular basis as it is wiped down with detail spray or ONR if a little dustier than normal after a long ride.

Thanks, and that brings up another question, Jason. Is there a point to claying a vehicle that gets very little exposure to the elements??

My question is, why would it need waxed that often?? If it isn't driven much and virtually never needs washing, I would think the wax should hold up for longer than a month and a half....

I am new to using Adam's stuff but with the old stuff, I only needed to wax about twice a year. Detail spray keeps it looking good the rest of the time.

Edited by teamroper60

My question is, why would it need waxed that often?? If it isn't driven much and virtually never needs washing, I would think the wax should hold up for longer than a month and a half....

I am new to using Adam's stuff but with the old stuff, I only needed to wax about twice a year. Detail spray keeps it looking good the rest of the time.

I agree. I try to polish and wax mine monthly when the weather is good. Maybe some Brilliant Spray Glaze every other week with Detail Spray and washing as needed. Beyond that, I don't do too much. I mean, you have to leave some time in there to drive it!!

I think I have waxed twice since 2004 :( What do I need Jason to make it look good?

The right tools. Honestly, that's what you need. Give it a wash with Dawn liquid detergent to clean away any left over wax and soft contaminants. Follow with a clay bar treatment, then polish and wax.

Take a look at our videos and take some notes. They are step by step on the steps that we will be happy to walk and talk you through :2thumbs:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx

For a garage kept car that is never washed and never sees rain, how often should I put a fresh coat of Butter Wax on?

Bill, you don't need to wax that often, IMHO! If you use Detail Spray as your exclusive cleaning method, after 3-4 months, you'll see enough small wipe marks that you'll want to polish the paint, enhance the depth, and seal the finish.

I've got a car that gets driven like yours, and I use Brilliant Spray Glaze once every 5-6 weeks, and Buttery Wax once each year.

If you are waxing for therapy, go to town! If you are waxing to add gloss and provide protection (basically from the car cover, since it's barely exposed to the elements,) you can get away with a quarterly coat.

Remember: I'm the guy making the wax, so really, if you ask me, it's impossible to use enough of the stuff!! :banana:Go bananas! (You should also store the bottle open, and on it's side so the wax creeps out slowly over time. If there's still more left after that, give it away to a neighbor or family member, and come get some more!

-Adam:lol:

So Bill, you do the ONR just in the garage? I guess if you don't get too sloppy with the washmit, it won't leave too much mess on the floor.

I've got a daily driver, so for my G8 that I keep in the garage and mainly drive in fair weather, this sounds like a decent solution for winter time washing. I know lots of people use this stuff and give it pretty good reviews, but it just doesn't seem right that it doesn't cause marring to the paint.

I would like to order some up and give it a try, but would like to hear from any others who have used or are currently using this product. I guess worst case in the winter, with good amount of dirt on the car, would be to do a quick high-pressure rinse with the hose to remove the majority of dirt, then pull into the garage to do the ONR wash.

Thoughts?

I know I am gonna go, "DOH!!" when I see the answer, but help out a newbie here... What is ONR??

Optimum No Rinse. I've never used it, but it is product to allow you to wash your vehicle with very little water, which would make it good for winter time.

Ok this is a Newbie question..... My truck is ALWAYS out in the elements. I live in Florida...

1) How often should I claybar?

2) How often should I wax it?

Thanks guys!

I highly suggest you clay bar before it's first polish and wax. As far as how often at least once a month walk out and feel your truck's paint with your hand inside a plastic sandwich bag. This will create a barrier and allow you to truly feel imperfections and contaminants.

On how often you should wax it depends on if you use our Buttery Wax or Machine SuperWax. Our Machine SuperWax will outlast our Buttery Wax every time thanks to it's added properties and more even coat provided by using the machine. With our Buttery Wax sitting out overnight and with Florida heat and humidity look for 3-4 months of coverage, with our Machine SuperWax look for 5-6 months! This all depends on upkeep and maintenance (Detail Spray wipe downs and periodic washings.)

-Jason

Bill, you don't need to wax that often, IMHO! If you use Detail Spray as your exclusive cleaning method, after 3-4 months, you'll see enough small wipe marks that you'll want to polish the paint, enhance the depth, and seal the finish.

I've got a car that gets driven like yours, and I use Brilliant Spray Glaze once every 5-6 weeks, and Buttery Wax once each year.

If you are waxing for therapy, go to town! If you are waxing to add gloss and provide protection (basically from the car cover, since it's barely exposed to the elements,) you can get away with a quarterly coat.

Remember: I'm the guy making the wax, so really, if you ask me, it's impossible to use enough of the stuff!! :banana:Go bananas! (You should also store the bottle open, and on it's side so the wax creeps out slowly over time. If there's still more left after that, give it away to a neighbor or family member, and come get some more!

-Adam:lol:

I always store my wax on it's side with the top off, that's why my floor looks so good :lolsmack:

Just to clarify for everyone, I bought this one new off the showroom floor back in April. I do already see the micro marring and will give it a good polishing in the Spring and polish as needed after that. The ONR is a good product when there is not enough dirt to justify a wash but too much dirt for detail spray or if it's just too damn cold out :D

And I will be ordering some BSG soon, Mike G just used it and gave it :2thumbs:

BSG works extraordinarily well on white cars. My wife's CRV, and my SVT Cobra are both white. I've found that a good claybar, some Buttery wax, then it's nothing but BSG for several months. The stuff is amazing and it makes you think you're in Hawaii- it has cocoanut oil in it. BSG will enhance the shine and slippery texture of your vehicle in a big way!

Again, my experience is better with lighter colored cars with this product. For dark paint I like Detail Spray. My .02 there.

Also, my step-son hogs my BSG. He uses it like a madman on his expensive electric guitars to keep the finish bright and smooth. :2thumbs:

Edited by WaxOnWaxOff