Need detail guru help!

MMMMRice

Question

This is after I hand washed it.

100_0547.jpg

100_0546.jpg

100_0545.jpg

100_0544.jpg

Can you guys suggest a process I can use to get this stuff off. the stain that look like dried chemicals on the truck is all over it and one other in the fleet. We think its from a crop duster but we're not too sure. So far all of the vinyl has been removed and is getting re-applied once Im done. Ive completely clayed the truck and started on the hood with fhr. I dabbed it on the paint like junkman does in the video then spread it at 3000opms followed up by 6000opms for the breakdown. While it did get some off it off, it left fine scratches and the stain is still visible. What process should I use to fix this? WHat should I do with the chrome/windows/and headlights to remove the stain? And the final question of the post... Should I apply the final smw over the vinyl to protect it or will it not matter?

25 answers to this question

That looks...really, really bad! One thing that you didn't mention in the post - How do those areas feel? Is it rough to the touch?; Or does it feel like a normal finish? The answer to that question is going to determine the answer to yours :)

Edited by Baron_Von_Awesome

Theyre smooth now that ive claybarred lol. I got my gf's cobalt back if your up to coming down later this week. I saw it in the sun today and wow you can definatly tell when someone details with a frustrated gf. Your going to think its hilarious when you see it.

Pick a not too conspicuous area: First I want you to try claying again using APC as your clay lube - make two or three passes. I don't think it's clear coat failure because of the way it effects the glass too - so I'm leaning towards deep, heavy contamination. If you see any improvement from the claying, move up to Revive on an orange pad.

I don't know when I'm going to be able to make it down to take a look at the car: I'm spearheading a large product at work, so the weekdays are out for the next month or so and most of my weekends are booked for detailing and hunting for another shop.

no prob itll be here. I used shr on the hood and its pulled most of it out but some is left and the small scratches from brushes. Do you think the apc with the claybar will take that crap out of the paint and windshield?

no prob itll be here. I used shr on the hood and its pulled most of it out but some is left and the small scratches from brushes. Do you think the apc with the claybar will take that crap out of the paint and windshield?

Yep! If it's stuff that has settled on the paint, it should do the trick.

sure can... but its not really gonna do much. If you were to use any of the "polishes" I'd suggest revive on the glass to get it a little cleaner. None of the Adams products have enough 'cut' to polish glass... you need some pretty aggressive stuff to do that.

Now Dylan I hate to disagree with a detailing advisor but I have had really really good luck from polishing horrible water spots off of windows with SHR and an Orange pad. I will be posting up pics tonight or tomorrow. I would try using some SHR on the windows to see if it helps.

Now Dylan I hate to disagree with a detailing advisor but I have had really really good luck from polishing horrible water spots off of windows with SHR and an Orange pad. I will be posting up pics tonight or tomorrow. I would try using some SHR on the windows to see if it helps.

I'll buy that - I think water spots on glass would be ok with SHR...if we're talking about removing scratches from glass, however...that's a different story.

And never hate to disagree with anybody - that's ultimately how things are learned and how techniques are refined :)

I'll buy that - I think water spots on glass would be ok with SHR...if we're talking about removing scratches from glass, however...that's a different story.

And never hate to disagree with anybody - that's ultimately how things are learned and how techniques are refined :)

Oh I thought Dylan was talking about contaminates and such off of glass, is there such thing as glass polish?

Oh I thought Dylan was talking about contaminates and such off of glass, is there such thing as glass polish?

There are special pads and polishes for glass - it's not something for the faint of heart, though - fully correcting a windshield can actually be painful because you're forever reaching, standing on your toes, applying substantial pressure, and fighting to control a rotary for what can be several hours :willy:

There are special pads and polishes for glass - it's not something for the faint of heart, though - fully correcting a windshield can actually be painful because you're forever reaching, standing on your toes, applying substantial pressure, and fighting to control a rotary for what can be several hours :willy:

smilie_thud.gif

I would rather replace them anyways. The stuff you use has to be pretty nasty.

I think i would just forget about it.

I think i would just forget about it.

You can't run a business like that though. You can't pick and choose what jobs you want or dont want.:glasses:

I understand what your saying and I would just say forget it too lol. But Frank is running a business.

Finished the paint today...18 hours later lol. Now they say they want the wheels and tanks polished. Any ballpark idear on what i should charge? Also, The pc melted the the center of the backing of my orange pad and now it wont stick what should I do?

You can't run a business like that though. You can't pick and choose what jobs you want or dont want.:glasses:

I understand what your saying and I would just say forget it too lol. But Frank is running a business.

I am no saying as a business stand point. If i was soing something for myself i would forget it. Sorry for the mixup

Well you have a point there. I guess there would be situations where bad water spotting might be better served by SHR. I guess either approach would work in theory... Revive cleans, SHR would basically polish it clean... theres more than one way to skin a cat I guess (and that is a bizzarre saying btw)

Also, The pc melted the the center of the backing of my orange pad and now it wont stick what should I do?

Definitely contact customer service for a replacement.

When you say "melted the the center of the backing of my orange pad" what exactly do you mean?? The backing plate melted or the velcro on the pad melted??

The center of the pads backing melted. The outside velcro was not messed up but would not stick to the backing plate. I think the outer edge of the pad was never sticking so when I was using the pc it wore out the center due to last of contact surface.

The center of the pads backing melted. The outside velcro was not messed up but would not stick to the backing plate. I think the outer edge of the pad was never sticking so when I was using the pc it wore out the center due to last of contact surface.

Using the PC on speed 6 with too much pressure for too long will kill the adhesive between the Velcro and the pad. Is that how fast you were going? And were you using the correct washer...or using a washer at all?

Using the PC on speed 6 with too much pressure for too long will kill the adhesive between the Velcro and the pad. Is that how fast you were going? And were you using the correct washer...or using a washer at all?

Yea I was using a washer and I was on 6000opms, I used enough pressure to keep the pad from shooting across the shop. Even when I first started the velcro was weak enough to just let the pad fly.