Customer Service 866.965.0400

Drying a car

694doorbird

Question

I use a chamois to dry my cars off after washing. I've noticed on our Charger, fine swirl marks and I'm not sure why. I use Microfiber towels to polish and wax. what do you think of drying with a chamois? I'm slowly saving to buy a Porter machine and all my polishing and waxing is done by hand right now.

11 answers to this question

ditch the chamois immediately and get yourself an Adams white waffle weave drying towel and some detail spray to help the drying process.

The chamois is dragging small particles across the finish creating the fine swirls. the WWWT keeps the fine particles away from the finish.

Edited by Sundog Detailing

ditch the chamois immediately and get yourself an Adams white waffle weave drying towel and some detail spray to help the drying process.

The chamois is dragging small particles across the finish creating the fine swirls. the WWWT keeps the fine particles away from the finish.

:iagree: Also depends how you washed the car also.

IMPORTANT THINGS TO CONSIDER<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Keep your washing, polishing and waxing gear in a dirt and dust free place. After you wash, dry and fold put them in large freezer bags or plastic containers until you are ready to use them again. Wash towels and microfiber applicating pads in a mild laundry detergent without bleach or fabric softener. Dry them on a low temperature setting and don’t use anti cling papers or the like. Application pads and sponges as well as random orbital polishing pads can be cleaned with Adam’s All Purpose Cleaner.<o:p></o:p>

Consider buying a folding table or saw horses and a hollow core door slab for a clean setup area/workstation. Cover which ever you use with red carpenters paper for a completely clean work surface. This clean work area is to keep debris from imbedding itself in polishing and waxing pads as well as your micro fiber towels.<o:p></o:p>

WASHING PREP AND WASHING<o:p></o:p>

1. Sweep the garage a few hours before washing your car. Give the dust a chance to settle.<o:p></o:p>

2. Wash the bucket and grit guard. Use a second bucket for your wheels. Use a two bucket system and separate wash mitts.<o:p></o:p>

3. If you are wearing a belt triple fold a micro fiber towel and loop it over your belt buckle.<o:p></o:p>

4. Rinse your wash mitt thoroughly before putting it in the wash bucket.<o:p></o:p>

5. Have your drying towel and detail spray in easy reach. <o:p></o:p>

6. Now is the time to spray Adams All Purpose cleaner in your wheel wells and let it set for a few minutes.<o:p></o:p>

7. Rinse your car off with a reasonable amount of pressure to remove as much dirt and grime as possible. <o:p></o:p>

8. Use a wash gun such as the Gilmore Foamaster 2. The one with the brass fittings costs about $52.00. <o:p></o:p>

9. Foam your car, the wheels and the wheel wells thoroughly and let it sit for about 2 to 3 minutes. Rinse it off. This will remove a lot of dirt and further reduce the chances of adding swirl marks to the car.<o:p></o:p>

10. With the wash mitt thoroughly soaked begin washing from top to bottom and in a north to south/front to back direction. Don’t go east to west or in circles. Don’t press on the wash mitt. Glide it over the surface doing one panel at a time. Once you complete a panel, and this is important, rinse the wash mitt with the hose and wring it out BEFORE placing it back in the bucket. You want to keep your wash mitt and wash water as clean as possible. Place the wash mitt in the bucket, rub over the grit guard, flip it over and do the same to the other side. If any dirt is left on the mitt hopefully the grit guard will remove it. Go back and rinse the panel you just washed. Repeat the process for each panel.<o:p></o:p>

DRYING AND THINKING “NO SWIRL MARKS.”<o:p></o:p>

By the time you finish washing your car crud has already fallen on the surface. I define crud as anything that has fallen on the surface of your car that may cause fine scratches in the clear coat. Grab the quick detailer and the drying towel, spray the QD liberally on the wet surface and then begin drying. Don’t press down on the towel. Let it glide over the surface and pick up the water. Repeat the process over and over until the car is dry. When you inspect the car after you dry it and look for water drips and spots use the QD before drying these spots and drips. This process will minimize the chances of adding fine scratches and swirl marks to your cars clearcoat.<o:p></o:p>

Unfolding a table, covering it with carpenter’s paper, preparing the bucket and wash mitt and sudsing your car will add about an additional 10 minutes to the wash cycle. This beats spending hours trying to remove swirl marks during the polishing cycle.<o:p></o:p>

WASHING WHEELS<o:p></o:p>

This is where the second bucket comes in. Pour the water from the car wash bucket to the wheel bucket. The water will look clean since you’ve rinsed your wash mitt after each use. Use a separate wash mitt to avoid any possibility cross contamination such as getting brake dust on your car.

Richard Kashinsky

Adam's Premium Car Care Products

North Carolina Distributor

(800) 366-9674

When I'm done rinsing off the soap the last thing I do before drying the car is remove the nozzle from the hose and let the water free flow over the car

I only use Adams Great white drying towel.

It only takes 5 to 10 minutes to completely dry the vette including using the air compressor to blow out the standing water left behind inside of the mirrors and lights :2thumbs:

My two (2) California water blades have been put away to be used on people cars that I don't like!

When I'm done rinsing off the soap the last thing I do before drying the car is remove the nozzle from the hose and let the water free flow over the car

I only use Adams Great white drying towel.

It only takes 5 to 10 minutes to completely dry the vette including using the air compressor to blow out the standing water left behind inside of the mirrors and lights :2thumbs:

My two (2) California water blades have been put away to be used on people cars that I don't like!

I use the Adam's Great White Drying Towel also. I've never use a drying blade.

Realistically, even with the Great White drying towel there will still be minor swirling evident in your paint... just a fact of life. Touching paint can and will generate swirls over time. The key is to reduce them as much as possible so that you aren't having to repolish every weekend.

That being said, I definitely agree the GWDT is a safer, more effective drying tool, and coupled with the detail spray offers far greater protection for your paint.

Realistically, even with the Great White drying towel there will still be minor swirling evident in your paint... just a fact of life. Touching paint can and will generate swirls over time. The key is to reduce them as much as possible so that you aren't having to repolish every weekend.

That being said, I definitely agree the GWDT is a safer, more effective drying tool, and coupled with the detail spray offers far greater protection for your paint.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: