Customer Service 866.965.0400

White splotches...?

FinishedDetailing

Question

So I detailed a 2008 Silverado Bandit. I use VRT on the interior(Black Interior). Only and ONLY on the glovebox, 4-5 days later these white splotches came up?

I've never seen this before in the years of detailing. The woman, finally called me... She said they weren't there before (I don't remember them being there) and that she hasn't tried to wipe the dash with anything since.

It was weird, I rubbed it with my bare finger and they would dissappear and then 1 min later comeback...

SO I took some water and an MF and wiped it, and it seemed to have gone away, then I put a SMALL tiny amount of VRT over it. I waited 5 mins and nothing cameback. So I told the woman in a week to call me if anything comes back.

Just weird because I use this product all the time and have no problems, and its ONLY on the glovebox and no where esle....

Any clues what it is and if it comes back what to do?

Thanks!

12 answers to this question

First question.... what the hell is a silverado "bandit"??

Onto your question -- I've seen something similar happen in a few corvettes and the newer generation of GM vehicles. They've started going to a new interior panel manufacturing process using a new plasticizer, supposedly it won't gas out the chemicals over time so you don't get that haze on your inside glass and its also substantially less toxic as well.

The problem stems (in my experience) from oils on the surface after manufacturing... typically skin oils from handling. The material seems to absorb it and then any dressing on top of it magnifies the effect when it dries out.

I've been able to fix it by using Leather and Interior Cleaner at full stregth to get it clean. 2-3 applications is usually sufficient... then top with LEATHER CONDITIONER instead of the VRT. For whatever reason the VRT magnifies these defects.

Again, this is my first hand experience... maybe test a spot of VRT after the cleaner and see what happens, but I've been having better luck with leather conditioner.

Awesome answer, Dylan!

I'm wondering if some APC/GWC could do something to get rid of those oils, too: cut it down...nice and light...to like 5:1 and wipe the area before applying the dressing. Might save you from repeatedly using Leather/Interior Cleaner and keep your cost of goods down :)

We had several reports of this a few months back, it was determined that the VRT was reacting to the last dressing used on the surface. A good cleaning, as already recommended here, and re application of VRT or Leather Conditioner solved the problem :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

We had several reports of this a few months back, it was determined that the VRT was reacting to the last dressing used on the surface. A good cleaning, as already recommended here, and re application of VRT or Leather Conditioner solved the problem :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thats what i was thinking bill