Customer Service 866.965.0400

Diesel Engine Cleaning

TjDieselPwr

Question

Ok so I have a 2000 F250 Powerstroke Diesel and it definitely needs an engine cleaning which some people on here can atest to. What I am curious about it I have heard do not spray water on a Diesel engine. Has anybody with the 7.3 liter Diesel engine actually sprayed theirs down to get the APC off without issue? I definitely want to clean the engine just am nervous about getting water where it shouldn't be. :confused: Thanks in advance.

Tim

15 answers to this question

Hey Tim, How U Doin'?

I have wash my diesel engine, the thing is do not just drown the electronics, after all isn't the engine expose somewhat when you drive in the rain?

The thing about some degreasers is that they will discolor aluminum. And I wouldn't wash it if it is like way hot either:D

Here is a way that I have read before, warm up the engine just alittle, then shut if off, spray what cleaner that you will be using, prolly APC:rockon:,

let sit for a few then wash with mitt or whatever you're using, and then spray of soap, dry and finish of with some VRT.:cheers:

Shine On

Bluezey:pc:

and yes Jesse, Adams's ford is a diesel:thumbsup:

Edited by Bluezey

Adam's ford is a 7.3 liter diesel to be exact. Make sure if you have an open air filter to cover it with a bag. Also I would also protect the computer connections under hood. I have fully washed and cleaned my 6.0 diesel (with an underhood chip/open air element) and had no problems.

Adam's ford is a 7.3 liter diesel to be exact. Make sure if you have an open air filter to cover it with a bag. Also I would also protect the computer connections under hood. I have fully washed and cleaned my 6.0 diesel (with an underhood chip/open air element) and had no problems.

Correctomundo Shane! I've actually got TWO 7.3L diesels, and LOOOOOOVE them more than any vehicle that I've owned. Cover (then UNCOVER) your cold air intake, if you have one. Otherwise, the motor is near impossible to hurt when cleaning. I've got 170,000 on our 2002, and 126,000 on the 2003. Both engines get cleaned every month, and nothing has ever gone wrong.

(Ohh, wiht the exception of the time that I started it up without removing the plastic bag over the air cleaner. It killed the engine after about 15 seconds, and the air filter sucked in and died.)

Go crazy, and here is the video:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="603"><tbody><tr><td>

</td> <td> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

<!-- READ FROM DB --> <form name="video" id="video"><embed style="width: 400px; height: 326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=8497010261691555178&hl=en" flashvars="autostart=true">

Cleaning the Motor

</form>

Adam

Thank you that is exactly the answer I was looking for. It is awesome to know you have cleaned the exact same motor I want to clean that helps. In the video it says to start the engine while you spray it down but I to have an AFE intake so I would want to put a bag over it so I can't start the engine. Do you let the engine air dry of should I use my air compressor to blow it off. Again thanks for your help. BTW I agree with you I absolutely love my 7.3 and it is the most fun vehicle I have driven. I will post pics when I get the engine cleaned! Thanks again:banana:

Heres what I do...

Cover intake

Rinse

Spray down with APC and wait 3-5 minutes (make sure it doesn't dry)

Agitate (scrub) down apc

Rinse around intake and take bag off

Start engine and rinse thoroughly making sure not to get water on the air filter

Blow dry